Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

On 5/26/2020 at 4:30 PM, Forum Moderation Team said:

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

How can this be correct when Adobe have put their Commission Rates up? Pond 5 charge way more than Shutterstock for videos. 

If this is correct were is the evidence, just saying it does not make it real.

2 minutes ago, MJD Graphics said:

To be honest I didn't like the old tier system based on lifetime earnings and I don't like the new level system either. I think every image/video that is sold should just be a flat-rate 30% of sales price for everybody no matter how long you have been on SS or how many images you have sold in a year.

I agree, I did not think about this before, but honestly... It is a good point, that everybody works should be evaluated by quality of particular piece, not some sales, or time spend on site.

2 hours ago, Yanas said:

I see that the new conditions have become a big disappointment for fans to load any garbage

Your blue pencil photo is so cute!!!

And also you've a cat aswell...

2 hours ago, SvetlanaSF said:

What about those who Will keep the account and Will keep contributing? Do you mind adding this option in? I suspect there will be many of those still and the current questionnaire doesn't caputre that category. 

Done!!!

I was happy to start my day 3 or 4 months ago with Shutterstock, and I am in the process to build my portfolio here. I made only 6 download so far, that represent barely $1.50.

It is time to stop my contribution and move my energy toward other sites that believe in the value of their contributors.

What are the top 5 alternatives you think is good in the current state of this market?

28 minutes ago, MJD Graphics said:

To be honest I didn't like the old tier system based on lifetime earnings and I don't like the new level system either. I think every image/video that is sold should just be a flat-rate 30% of sales price for everybody no matter how long you have been on SS or how many images you have sold in a year. The sales price of every image is based on what for subscription or whatever the buyer has and nothing to do with how long the contributor of that image has made on SS or how many images they have sold.

I agree with the flat 30%.

Keep it simple works best.

No, flat 30% does not work... I am level 4 so am already getting 30%... The problem is that the vast majority of the sales i'm getting are 0.10 cents... compared to 0.36 cents before, this is a huge pay cut. Basically the levels dont mean much, its just a distraction, we all get ~0.10 cents. They need to raise the minimum payment and remove the reset policy, if they want, they can make it so that your level is based on the last 12 months (so there is no need to reset) but as I said, the levels mean mostly nothing when you get 0.10 cents or 0.12 cents.

Not sure how a typical day works for you, the people who said earnings are the same...

But so far all days look like this one for me:

image.thumb.png.c07be4c7e0807ea342da8edbd838084c.png

1 minute ago, Red Din said:

Not sure how a typical day works for you, the people who said earnings are the same...

Pretty much everybody who said that, said it based ont he first two days. After that it has plummeted to pretty bad level.

1 hour ago, Oleksii Arseniuk said:

Hi everybody. 

It’s been almost a week that I’m watching the situation over some forums and chats. For me it’s obvious that panic and aggressive conditions still overwhelms the constructive ones.

I'm full time microstock contributor and make a living with this. That’s one of the the reasons why my SS portfolio is still on air. The other one is that for the last days the new rating system has almost no negative impact to my earnings. I'm sure that I am not the only one with the same or similar situation nevertheless 3 days stats is not representative so I’ll wait for the whole month to calculate more or less appropriate statistics.

I share the spreadsheet in this post (see attachment) – it will help you to calculate changes in statistics in accordance to the new rating system. I thank to one of our colleague who has kindly shared it with us. You are allowed to share this spreadsheet wherever you want, but do not share it from your name.

I’m not so pissed off of the new rating system but still I reduce the amount of uploads to the SS for now till I’ll have more statistics to analyze. At the same time I appreciate actions of those who already deactivated or deleted their PFs – it’s really strong position. My respect.

In all this madness we missed some major thing: within the last few days Shutterstock did for the global contributor community more than we did itself for the all time of microstock existing. Shutterstock made us to find ways of communication with each other. I mean worldwide communication but not the local ones.

For now I strongly support the idea of an open letter to the Shutterstock or smth. like that.

BUT!

I think that this should be not the “we the contributors want...” letter but “we the contributors together with the Shutterstock can…”. I think that we should to propose some concessions from the SS side (for exp: cancel the yearly level resetting or to rise the minimum payouts from 10 to 15 cents) along with some duties from ours (not to upload same content to dumping stocks/ not to spill dirt on Shutterstock etc.)

I want to make an offer of the collaboration but not the letter of requirements.

But in accordance to make this letter really good and representative I need help of other contributors – primary of those who make a living same as me and/or has an old lvl 4. Why you, because you have what to lose. Same as me.  So I hope that you too can see both sides of the current situation.

For those who want only to “push” and “destruct” – IMHO you are wrong. It’s your position. I respect it. And do not want you to bother yourself of convincing me that I'm wrong.

Peace.

Shutterstock_compare_share.xlsxUnavailable

"And do not want you to bother yourself of convincing me that I'm wrong"

ok, I'll respect your request then..I won't bother to convince you that you're wrong!!

Maybe I'm wrong by not bothering myself if I'm wrong.. who cares?

What life taught me is that  modern slavery has nothing to do with skin colour but lack of dignity instead.

If Shutterstock is the company we all know, I actually have hopes with the change.

Here is why:

When we had the flat rate, Shutterstock was limited in it's offerings because they had to calculate the flat rate in each pack in order to be profitable and it was quite limited, it was either 350/750. 95% of earnings came through these two subscriptions, at least for me. 0.25 was still a little insulting to be honest.

But now, since they are no longer blocked by the flat rate, they can create an endless array of subscriptions at different prices, we could see earnings from 0.10 to 1$ - 2$ - 3$/download in various subscription combinations, I already received some weird amounts.

I'm also a stock buyer and I owned a shutterstock account in the last 4 years, I had the 750 one and recently turned to 350 downloads/month and it's still too much for me.

Each month I need different amounts of images and I don't like to be constrained with purchasing either 350 or 750, sometimes the work volume is smaller and I prefer 20-50 images, other times 100-150 are fine too.

So maybe, just maybe it might turn out well after all.

Let's give them a month.

7 minutes ago, eskystudio said:

Pretty much everybody who said that, said it based ont he first two days. After that it has plummeted to pretty bad level.

I average 10cents and sometimes 15. I'm not sure it can "plummet" more than this.

I just hope Shutterstock has a strategy both for buyers and for us for the next couple of months and it'll compensate eventually.

I'm forced to stay positive.

4 hours ago, Fredrik Bourdette said:

You will PROBABLY get your money! I closed my portfolio pretty much the same day a reciewed the mail about the new earning structure - and today I got this e-mail! I have a post earlier on this matter.

last paycheck.jpg

But is this your May payment? I received that but I still have active images on SS and no indication of sales. They are quick to turn off sales but not the images.

Did anyone else noticed an increase in sale volumes on Dreamstime this month? Almost all at $2 a pop. There’s great potential there even though you’re not selling in big numbers as on SS , one sale is the equivalent of 20 sales here. Plus another news: Adobe stock started accepting editorials. Lots of work from tomorrow, I’ll be uploading all my work on those 

009D1A6F-CA17-4C1D-99EB-EF25212EFEE0.jpeg

1 minute ago, Michael Warwick said:

But is this your May payment? I received that but I still have active images on SS and no indication of sales. They are quick to turn off sales but not the images.

It is the payment for May, but I was probably one of the first who disabled my portfolio and also posted some critical posts, time will judge!

5 hours ago, Michael Warwick said:

@Kate Shutterstock

Yes, please explain where the money goes after deactivating the portfolio. I have a few top sellers in some categories and they are still showing for sale. If they have sold, why is it not appearing in my earnings account??? Please explain. 

So quick to turn off earnings but it takes days to turn off the images. In the meantime, who is getting the sales? OH, Yeah, let me guess.

37 minutes ago, Louno Morose said:

No, flat 30% does not work... I am level 4 so am already getting 30%... The problem is that the vast majority of the sales i'm getting are 0.10 cents... compared to 0.36 cents before, this is a huge pay cut. Basically the levels dont mean much, its just a distraction, we all get ~0.10 cents. They need to raise the minimum payment and remove the reset policy, if they want, they can make it so that your level is based on the last 12 months (so there is no need to reset) but as I said, the levels mean mostly nothing when you get 0.10 cents or 0.12 cents.

Actually that is what I am saying remove levels and the reset so that everybody receives 30% of a sale and nothing to do with how much you have sold or whatever. Treat EVERY contributor exactly the same. Why should you earn more than me just because you have sold 1 image more than me, doesn't make any sense.

I'm not going to deactivate my port, even though I should. Unfortunately they have me over a barrel there. What I will do is not submit new items going forward, instead opting to submit them to other better sites (which will probably screw me in the future just like SS and iStock did). Like a lot of us, I used to do really well on iStock. Then they screwed us. Then I did really well on SS. Now SS has screwed us. So the musical chairs continues. I would like to believe that there is some type of karma for this type of behavior (stepping on little people to extract more blood from stone, simply because you can) but I don't believe in karma or anything supernatural. People can do bad things, still go home to a nice house with kids and a spouse, and still sleep at night, and nothing bad happens. People can do bad things and totally get away with it with no downside, if they so choose. This is the reality that we all must accept. Life is unfair, especially to the lower and working classes. It's the hardest thing I have ever had to accept in life, and I am still working on it.

I just started contributing a few months back... It had started to look good when my images were getting noticed and now this! Amazing!! Anyway $0.25 per image was too little... this new structure has pushed me down to $0.10 per download! Even if I cross 100 downloads this year, what will happen? My $0.10 will become $0.13...

Obnoxious...

It is not really a viable option for small contributors like me. Had I been contributing for the past 15 years and my average monthly download been in some 10s of thousands, then may be it made a bit of sense for people to continue...

I would rather give my images for free than to keep them on Shutterstock anymore...

22 minutes ago, Marius_Comanescu said:

Did anyone else noticed an increase in sale volumes on Dreamstime this month? Almost all at $2 a pop. There’s great potential there even though you’re not selling in big numbers as on SS , one sale is the equivalent of 20 sales here. Plus another news: Adobe stock started accepting editorials. Lots of work from tomorrow, I’ll be uploading all my work on those 

009D1A6F-CA17-4C1D-99EB-EF25212EFEE0.jpeg

Selling on AS as an editorial is not yet possible here. How do you know this, do you have the check box again?

😠Все будут уходить туда где идет 30-50% от продажи. и таких стоков далеко не 1. Вы привлечь много потребитель но  потерять очень много вкладчик. я говорить не за себя , я говорить за всех.