Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

😡😡

It was normal. People gave several years of their lives to this project. Why should they not earn enough now? It is not possible to upload such a large number of photos and videos. Some people have to work hard to create 10 cool photos. Now you want to make a dump of quick photos so that people don't lose income. And in General, there was a good pension or additional earnings. This is not possible now. You did a disgusting thing.

Hi, Guys My Name is Andrey Tolkachev the same as my account name. I ve just applied to deactivate my image account (17449 images). I do not agree to work for 0.10 USD.

Hope you did the same.

Shame on you SHUTTERSTOCK.

1 hour ago, Primus1 said:

Only about 4K replies and about 380K views. Devide with 10 to get real (close to) realistic interest of unique number of authors and views of this thread and you will see real interest in new structure of earnings. It's, sorry, close to 0.xxx% among author pond of SS. All others agree with it or do not want to speak about it loud. Correct?

Even $ 0.36 or $ 0.38 was nothing for a photo, $0.10 is not worth to speak about, only if volume of sales would increase. Clips, however were so far selling timely great!

No, a lot of them simply still don‘t know.

Not everyone follows the forums or always reads the emails that agencies send out.

So they might only find out next month when suddenly their monthly payout has fallen drastically.

Every day on the social media boards you can read from people who are popping up saying - what happened?  the last three days I just got 10 cents? why?

This is a slow process until all producers learn about it, even slower in circles where people don‘t speak English.

A large part of the content is also from people who tried stock for 2,3 years, but got frustrated how much work it actually is and stopped uploading. They don‘t care if they still get some sales or not, they might anyway be below 30 dollars a month. 

Even if SS only paid 1 cent, I am sure there would be millions of files that is legacy content nobody would pull, because the owners have forgotten about it.

The questions is, how does the active, currently uploading community, handle all this. Because they are the future of all content.

So with every monthly payout there will be a new group of people noticing this. Don‘t forget the summer slowdown, some people might think it is a normal fluctuation or because of corona and not a rate change.

But I think by January, everybody in the active producer community will know and adjust what they do.

Some will stop uploading and delete it all, some will just remove the best content and leave the rest,some will upload lower quality or outtakes every two months like they do with 123rf or deposit or other small sites.

So over time, the volume of uploads will decrase and the quality of the uploads will go down.

Posted (edited)

Absolutely DISGRACEFUL.

Disabled my account in solidarity with others here. That means going to account settings and choosing "disable" in both the images and videos options.  Now, people viewing images will not be able to buy the disabled images.

Edited by Scott Donkin
I feel ripped off.

On 6/4/2020 at 5:39 AM, Evdokimov Maxim said:

change in the market? why then, together with our reduction in deductions, do not make the price cheaper for customers since this is a change in the market?

my english is bad

I would guess because 'change in the market' also may refer to a desire for more fresh recent content from contributors, as well as may refer to what competing stock photo agencies are doing.

4 minutes ago, Amir Bajric said:

and why are you selling at that price? where is your dignity?

To see if it really turns out that bad as the announcement was rather unclear about how it was going to work out. Don't judge about dignity if you don't know a persons situation, especially these days.

Well, actually never.

32 minutes ago, Blue daemon said:

It's an interesting graph.
What do red and blue mean?

The graph shows, how Shutter's portfolio grows. Blue is for vector images, and red is for raster. Looks like contributor had enough and are deleting their portfolios.

25 minutes ago, Amir Bajric said:

and why are you selling at that price? where is your dignity?

Because we still don't see the whole picture. Minimum payout of 10 cents doesn't matter, if the maximum payout increases and average is still the same. Yes, we sell some images for 10 cents, but then we also sell some for over a $1 - calculated maximum payout for subscription is actally $1.72. And we can earn more for extended downloads - haven't made any yet this month, so just have still to see..

image.png.a868976f2f9d1603f9597eefaa5e719d.png

Anyway, I'm not defending SS. Announcing such a big change just 5 days ahead, explaining nothing - that is very, very bad job. This can idicate anything that may be going right now inside that company..

Last weekend I made a decision and had my Shutterstock account completely deleted yesterday.

It was a small, old portfolio with ~500 pictures which earned me ~$50-70 per year. Not much, but enough for a small dinner for two. The idea of waiting another two or three years for the next payout just made me uncomfortable enough to give up here. Plus I took the time to terminate my microstock business with two other agencies.

I feel better now. Shutterstock's support was kind and helpful, offering me several options including a lower payout threshold. But no, thank you. It's over.

4 minutes ago, lathspell said:

Last weekend I made a decision and had my Shutterstock account completely deleted yesterday.

It was a small, old portfolio with ~500 pictures which earned me ~$50-70 per year. Not much, but enough for a small dinner for two. The idea of waiting another two or three years for the next payout just made me uncomfortable enough to give up here. Plus I took the time to terminate my microstock business with two other agencies.

I feel better now. Shutterstock's support was kind and helpful, offering me several options including a lower payout threshold. But no, thank you. It's over.

👏

5 minutes ago, lathspell said:

Well done!

Well, I overreacted. So far sales are doing well, I'll wait for end of the month but money wise income did not change for me. Yes, 0.10$ is terrible but I got only 20 of them in these 4 days, a lot of 1$ something and 0.80$ for subscription over 0.38$ and 3.30$ over 2.85$ I used to have on demand. I'll report back on end of the month. And just to be clear I don't support 0.10$ for image, we should have higher fixed rates at higher lvls!

23 minutes ago, Boris Stroujko said:

Because we still don't see the whole picture. Minimum payout of 10 cents doesn't matter, if the maximum payout increases and average is still the same. Yes, we sell some images for 10 cents, but then we also sell some for over a $1 - calculated maximum payout for subscription is actally $1.72. And we can earn more for extended downloads - haven't made any yet this month, so just have still to see..

I had the same approach, only stop uploading for now and let see how I will be impacted. I am not really scared of the commission levels resetting at low level every year as I sell quite a lot and should be back to 30% fast (for photos, for video it's going to be much worse). For instance, I still have a "large" exclusive PF at Getty (not Istock) where I might get sales even lower than 10 ct, but I still have full price licence and for 2019, revenue per image there was still 5 times higher than SS. But now, and only after a few days, it getting clear that levels do not play a big role and most subs will be in the 10-14 ct range which means a massive reduction in earning that will not be compensated by very few sales with high commissions. I will also probably turn off sales soon...

7 hours ago, DutchMen said:

https://www.eyeem.com/u/rhdutchmen

This is what you can do in 4 days. My last photo was 36,26 dollars. It the appreciation from the buyer and the agency

I see EyeEm are still not watermarking the contributors' high resolution images.  Have they fixed the upload process so you can upload keywords in bulk instead of having to type every single keyword in, one at a time, by hand?

On 6/2/2020 at 10:12 PM, Loke Yek Mang said:

how to disable the account? is not worth it all.

Account settings. Turn off sales of images and videos.

it is an outrage to continue reducing artists' bad pay.
I will delete my account and ask our customers to stop supporting this exploitation.

bonne chance

How can I quit my membership and close the account. The new conditions are unfair and don´t want to cooperate with shutterstock anymore.