New earnings structure for Contributors

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Hi,

There were two issues some of you reported that should now be resolved.  

1. Downloads showing in the Single & Other column instead of in the Subscriptions column. The tech and product team worked to fix this yesterday, however we saw that it didn’t entirely resolve the issue. Having made some additional fixes, the categorization appears to be working correctly now. Let us know if you see further issues relating to this. 
  2. Image download count exceeding lifetime download count on the dashboard. Some historic (pre-2018) downloads from your referred contributors were included in the image downloads count in error. This issue is also now resolved. You may need to refresh the page to see the corrected amounts. 

Many of you are also asking how a contributor in the higher earning levels can get a 10¢ commission. Shutterstock makes your content available to our global customers, via partnerships and other promotions, and through API partners and resellers who may have a different package and pricing plans based on volume commitments than what’s offered to eCommerce customers. As a result, any contributor can see 10¢ royalties when their content is being licensed through these opportunities. 

Thanks, @Kate Shutterstock, for resolving the display problem - my stats are now displaying correctly.

EDIT: Oh boy, not that I need to justify my actions, but I've had several down votes for a matter of common courtesy? I had a discrepancy with my display, (as did many others), Kate said she would investigate and has confirmed that the issue is resolved, so I said thank you from one person to another on a specific matter. Are we now expected to stoop to levels where common decency is discarded?

Yes, I just like many authors tried to work and make high-quality illustrations, but what happened was what happened.
Since June 1, I, like many authors, stop uploading new illustrations to shatterstock, and I will build my work with other resources

This was a powerful blow to the authors, who sought to perform their work efficiently, very sorry it is unfortunate that this happened.

14 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

A fantastic image! Very stocky indeed! And extremely trendy right now. I'd suggest to upload it in the other microstock agencies. Not here! Too much work for here!

I already upload everywhere else, shutterstock wasn’t even that lucrative for me compared to others. I waited 3 days to see how this plays out. Sales did not increase to catch up to my previous earnings, I currently earn about 2/3 less. There is no such a thing as "disabling portfolios" they can still sell your content, only the client is limited to what he can do with his purchase. As far as I’m aware only way to win this is to delete your portfolio. 

Edit - Looks like I was limited to one post per day, great tactic to shut me up I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, asia_sko said:

I already upload everywhere else, shutterstock wasn’t even that lucrative for me compared to others. I waited 3 days to see how this plays out. Sales did not increase to catch up to my previous earnings, I currently earn about 2/3 less. There is no such a thing as "disabling portfolios" they can still sell your content, only the client is limited to what he can do with his purchase. As far as I’m aware only way to win this is to delete your portfolio. 

Not true. I asked what the implications were to disabling an account, here's the response :

If you switch off the licensing options in your account settings, your content will be unavailable for download. It can take a short while for the request to populate the new information throughout the database and they can appear in searches for up to 72 hours. However, when a customer attempts to download they should see a message indicating that the image is not currently available.

This reply came from a fellow Shutterstock contributor who's an "expert user" and does some support for them. They also said they were likely to be leaving Shutterstock based on what's happened 🙂

Can someone please explain which license belongs to each package/subscription model?

0.10 /0.14/0.15/0.30 all in the sub category.

I also had 0.12 and 0.13.

Really confusing, I have no idea how my files are being sold.

image.thumb.png.5d96efa1edeb4918126c83918def6b2c.png

Hi Mates and SS,

I have some questions in my mind and I totally agree with you guys(contributors) as my lifetime download is around 981 in 4 years but I continuously publish my images time to time because I know I can earn 0.25$ per download/sometimes 1.88$ on demand images/0.74$ single&others or sometimes got commission on subscriptions, etc etc and I am about to reach to the next level but "SS" ruined my dreams and my focus to earn the good money.

Anyways, my question is: Please attention and add your question and suggestions in my comment line.

1. what about the subscribers who purchased your lower plans like 10 Images per month pack @ 4.90$ per image and what commission you'll pay if this subscribers download our images ?

2. For 50 images pack @ $2.50/image so what we'll get ??

3. same for 350 and 750 images pack ? Please answer SS.

4. For On Demand Images - Standard License, we earn $1.88 per image as per your previous lowest tier, So how much commission you are paying as per your NEW tier ? You "SS" charge $9.50/image for 5 images pack and $9.16/image for 25 image pack. So increase your commission rates.

And for On Demand Images - Enhanced License $99.50/image to 67.96/image so try to pay us as per image downloaded by the clients, not as per your new plans.

Here is my main question or suggestion:

So, Why not "SS" pay us 50% commission on each sale as per the subscriber/buyer prices or what ever plan they purchased from "SS", that is SIMPLE. And I believe you lost many contributors nowadays just because of your new payment plans and TRUST me if you put your little focus on my suggestion you'll burst the entire competitors. 

PAY 50% AS "SS" CLIENTS PURCHASE THE PLANS.

Thank you 

5 minutes ago, Red Din said:

Can someone please explain which license belongs to each package/subscription model?

0.10 /0.14/0.15/0.30 all in the sub category.

I also had 0.12 and 0.13.

Really confusing, I have no idea how my files are being sold.

image.thumb.png.5d96efa1edeb4918126c83918def6b2c.png

You had more then me. Somewhere on this forum there is an table. It depends on the buyer. The buyer bus x amount for a price. Buying less photos more expensive.

7分前、Horst-Koenemund氏は次のように述べています。

Shutterstockのポートフォリオの下落は続いています。2020年6月1日月曜日以降、Shutterstockは120万以上の画像と動画を失っています(一部はアップロードを続けているため、合計で確かにそれ以上)。image.png.3272e4d9f56f22c6b7bf955eb5097f3e.png

It's an interesting graph.
What do red and blue mean?

Dear Kate Shutterstock,

More than 10 years contributor to Shutterstock. The earnings were always on the low side, but what happens now is common in New York City: looting!

Why not increasing your sale prices? Let the customers pay something more? Afraid to loose customers? Yes, some will leave. But a lot of quality contributors would come to Shutterstock and your product would enhance in quality.

Can you tell us with dry eyes that we get a 'minimum' price of $0.10? Wow, that is even better than the $0,38 I used to get. I am at a level 4 now and in January back to level 1. Thank you Kate. 

I will refuse to put on new material on Shutterstock and in the coming time I will gradually delete photos  from Shutterstock. 

It's a disgrace!

And please give me a reply! Shutterstock made more mistakes in the past but repaired those mistakes. Don't wait too long before turning it back. And increase the prices for your customers.

Richard de Bruijn

Disappointed contributor (but you don't care do you?)