Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

This is from recent, public SEC filings. During the week when you're groveling over 10 cent commissions:

Stan Pavlovsky, CEO, takes home $700,00/year plus tens of thousands of stock options.

John Oringer, Founder, sold 46,573 shares for $1.7 million, June 1-3, 2020.

Peter Silvio, CTO, was given 2,028 shares of stock on June 1, 2020 with a value of $75,000.

31 minutes ago, Malgorzata Litkowska said:

Stop uploading is not good enough. They are selling our old images anyway and earning good money with them. We should deactivate our portfolio. If they have nothing to sell, maybe they go back to normal... or go to hell. 

Full solidarity is ONLY power we have. Guys ! We are the army with over one milion people !!!

You can dissable but you can also work with other stock sites with your best content, that makes more of an impact.

To sell on this prices has no difference from donate my work to shutterstock.

I upload to shutterstock for 7 years i have online 14.000 images and 3d.

I disabled my account, i am not uploading new content to shutterstock.

If prices for contributors change again i will enable again the account elsewhere i will delete it.

If shutterstock have poor collection the customers will move to others sites.

please do the same  all of you!

thanks for your time to read it

31 minutes ago, Working Title Productions said:

This is from recent, public SEC filings. During the week when you're groveling over 10 cent commissions:

Stan Pavlovsky, CEO, takes home $700,00/year plus tens of thousands of stock options.

John Oringer, Founder, sold 46,573 shares for $1.7 million, June 1-3, 2020.

Peter Silvio, CTO, was given 2,028 shares of stock on June 1, 2020 with a value of $75,000.

dont sell for free. disable your account

adobe stock pays much better.

many sales 1 euro per sale

5 hours ago, Daniela Barreto said:

I've been on Shutterstock for 7 years now and have alwas been a big fan – as a vector illustration contributor as well as a customer for my design agency. The search engine was great until a few months ago when shuttersrock decided to delete the "popular" search option > FAIL!! Now you get many junk images like when searching on Adobe Stock. This was very disappointing for me and my fellow customers and I assume this led to lower sales.
Now they also kill the sales rates for contributors. Until June I sold very good on Shutterstock and it was fun working on new stuff and I uploaded a lot the last months. But now I definitely won't upload anthing new for the next months until I can see if it's still worth the hard work.

disable your account. dont donate your work. thanks! kostas

10c for:

$1000's of dollars worth of equipment.

$1000's of dollars for maintenance of equipment

Years (decades in my case) of dedication, experimentation, exploration and refining of technical and conceptual practice.

Formal training and qualifications

Creative, unique and individual talent present only in that one artist.

I am staggered beyond belief that this is what you deem the monetary value of a creative image that only exists due to the unique abilities of a singular artist. It fails to recognize what that one image represents in terms of how it came to be in existence.

Sold out & greedy.

it would appear they've forgotten their core business. "Quality creative content". You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Good luck with that model.

Oh and well you're at it... next time all the executives are out at a fancy corporate lunch, be sure to pay 10c for your meal the chef prepared and 1c to the waiter. See how you go with that. 

I'm looking at other options, including pulling my content that must've earned SS 10's of 1000's of dollars over a couple of years.

Really think reconsidering this decision, and taking into account the 100's of pages of advice and reaction written about in this forum would buy you some credit.You forget the photographers are in fact your staff. Listen to them, as your success is ultimately dependent on them alone.

This level of contempt and undervaluing is nothing less than shameful.

7 hours ago, Oliver Denker said:

Adobe is a much larger company than Shutterstock and not in the business of stock photography. For them Adobe Stock is just a marketing tool to sell more software subscriptions. 

Actually because of my sales/acceptance level I haven't paid for the Photoshop/light room plan for 2 years. Adobe is showing how it should be done ✔ 

So this is my death warrant. Due to no options during pandemic I have to kill myself when I run out of money. 

My life wasn't bright, people always interested only in how to scam and milk me, I'm pretty sure things like justice, love, friendship and other fairytales don't exist, at least I've never seen any in my life. Only hopeless people crying in pain and trying to survive when everyone think how to monetise their suffering before they become corpses.

I wasn't surprised or shocked when I saw the warrant. That's how things go in this universe. I lived, I die.
I did what I could during this 5 years here. I could do nothing better to save myself.

Very  very bad  new earnings  structure😒

I just read the news. Unbelievable, I've really loved Shutterstock for many years, but this is too unfair i respect my work this is my hard work not like 10minuts works.

Today I got 1 images sold for 0.10c, when I was making 0.25 per image in May.

I don't want to donate my work to shutterstock.

I am force to disabled my account, today onwards i am not uploading new content to shutterstock.

If shutterstock have poor collection the customers will move to others sites.

this to let you know that  Please notice that the situation is becoming really difficult and helpless for me to continue here. This is really unfair and it's becoming really unbearable. We are hard working and loyal towards my work and expect justice for that.We are supporting you from the heartcore .

I am force to migrating to Adobe stock or some other stock ...I am Very sad news from shutterstock and I don't have to do all the work from zero. if i go some other stock I can make lots of 0.66c there.

Please change  new earning structure 

please do something needful!😷

thanks for your time to read it.

This mean no more shutterstock ..  Adobe is better then all .. one download i have average 2USD ... WTF youy guys did ?  you guys ripping off hard work from photographers , this is nonsense  .. please concern abut revert previews system . or will bye for shutter

Just now, Ammit Jack said:

On Monday, June 1st, Jonathan Oringer sold 15,962 shares of Shutterstock stock. The shares were sold at an average price of $37.22, for a total transaction of $594,105.64.

Shutterstock Inc (NYSE:SSTK) Director Jonathan Oringer sold 13,356 shares of the firm's stock in a transaction on Wednesday, June 3rd. The shares were sold at an average price of $37.39, for a total transaction of $499,380.84.

Hmmm...insider trading; he knows when to get out.

Just now, hurricanehank said:

I think that every one who doesn't agree with new policies should contact the support team and send them our thoughts and demands in official manner with no insults. 

https://submit.shutterstock.com/contact

I doubt that contacting support would have any effect. Check out the Stock Submitter Coalition for some other ideas on how our voices can be amplified. 

12 hours ago, Fredrik Bourdette said:

"Most important: price per clip, photo does not matter (that much) as income at the end of the month does."

What are you smoking? I wanna smoke that too so I can earn same money as you, no matter of the price of the footage/photo!

:) Nothing to smoke here ... Wanted to say that even low priced clips did sell and do sell pretty good. Volume then is bigger and so on. Income is better then. But look - it depends from case to case. It has been like as I wrote in past years. From 2018 when everything gone down and now this covid it is not like that any more. Even low priced clips do not sell. Personal experiences.

So, my only hope with this fiasco is that volume of sales here will increase and income for us will be same as we were used to it. I'd now drink something to make this hope a reality! :)

18分前、ハリケーンハンクは言った:

新しいポリシーに同意しない場合は、サポートチームに連絡して、私たちの考えや要望を侮辱することなく公式に送信してください。 

https://submit.shutterstock.com/contact

オペレーターからの反応は以下の通り。

「報酬は低いかもしれません。
しかし、保証が追加されたため、最大40%を獲得できるようになりました。」

本当に高額な人はいますか?
TOPクリエイターのみ?

I've spent a big chunk of the last ten years working at building a decent portfolio as part of my "Retirement Plan".

There was a time when I loved Shutterstock for it's integrity and quality control.  Pfffftttt.....

I feel bad for those whose livelihood depends on their stock income, because one meal a week is better than none.

I'm sadly watching my port evaporate.  I loved the journey, I'll continue selling on Adobe stock who have so far treated me well, but I think that microstock is now a thing of the past for me.  I've become a much more knowledgeable and aesthetically appealing photographer throughout this journey so at least there is that compensation for my effort.  I'm not going to allow my passion and effort be degraded in this way though, and although I said I would stick it out for a month, I have seen enough in three days to know I am done here unless there are drastic changes. 

For those of you that remain, go easy on the contributor support user experts.  I think I was one of the initial 10 recruited and if you think contributor support is non existent, well, the user expert platform was even worse for support.  I was told I was one of the top rated on the Directly platform, but quit out of total frustration because I was completely shackled by an absolute lack of available information and support.   If any other agencies are following this crash and burn, take note, your contributors are the foundation your agency is built on, treat them right, communicate, educate, and appreciate.  

The first few years on Shutterstock were good ones.  I'm sorry things took the turn they did.  For those of you who feel the need to stay, good luck and dump the guilt trips, do what you feel is best for you.  For those who have helped me in the past a huge thank you, and to the old Shutterstock, thank you for the opportunity.  Good luck all, stay safe and healthy in these crazy times.

15 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

...So, my only hope with this fiasco is that volume of sales here will increase and income for us will be same as we were used to it. I'd now drink something to make this hope a reality! :)

Sales will increase if Shutterstock lowers the cost of the subscription, but this is not enough. It should be convenient for customers to search for suitable content, but in popular niches they see a lot of monotonous similar files and cheap replications (hidden plagiarism). This means that SS's huge image collection must be cleaned, as Hercules did with the Augean stables.

1 minute ago, oleskalashnik said:

Sales will increase if Shutterstock lowers the cost of the subscription, but this is not enough. It should be convenient for customers to search for suitable content, but in popular niches they see a lot of monotonous similar files and cheap replications (hidden plagiarism). This means that SS's huge image collection must be cleaned, as Hercules did with the Augean stables.

I hope same as you do. Otherwise this will really be a complete disaster. So far we are at the start of it.