Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

51 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Hi,

There were two issues some of you reported that should now be resolved.  

1. Downloads showing in the Single & Other column instead of in the Subscriptions column. The tech and product team worked to fix this yesterday, however we saw that it didn’t entirely resolve the issue. Having made some additional fixes, the categorization appears to be working correctly now. Let us know if you see further issues relating to this. 
  2. Image download count exceeding lifetime download count on the dashboard. Some historic (pre-2018) downloads from your referred contributors were included in the image downloads count in error. This issue is also now resolved. You may need to refresh the page to see the corrected amounts. 

Many of you are also asking how a contributor in the higher earning levels can get a 10¢ commission. Shutterstock makes your content available to our global customers, via partnerships and other promotions, and through API partners and resellers who may have a different package and pricing plans based on volume commitments than what’s offered to eCommerce customers. As a result, any contributor can see 10¢ royalties when their content is being licensed through these opportunities. 

@Kate Shutterstock are you not ashamed?

Posted (edited)

Katkıda Bulunanlar için yeni kazanç yapısı, Saygılarımızla,

Fotoğraf sanatçılarına yapılan çok büyük haksızlık, unutmayın ki görsel sanatçılar olmasaydı SS olmazdı, sizi kurtarmak için mutlaka geri dönmeniz gerekiyor, kazandığınız yeterli diyorsanız yok olmaya devam edin.

Edited by 101akarca

I was a small contributor.  I have deleted all but one image and one video.  Then, I de-activated sales for these two remaining pieces.  To me, it’s a matter of self respect.  If I agree to license my work for $0.10, this shows the (extremely low) value I place on my work.  I’m better than that.  So is my work.  I don’t need Shutterstock.  They need me, and many others like me, to succeed.  So, I choose to leave.

Now that we are a few days into the new system here is the joke with the new Levels invention: Its is basically irrelevant, only meant to keep you busy with nonsense while hiding a 50-60% cut in revenue. Before we were getting a flat 0.25$/Subscription download. I am currently at Level 3 (25%) and what I am getting per subscription download? 0.10$ for most images, 0.12% for a few of them. To note that 0.10% is the minimum payout we will get even at Level 1. So, regardless of your level, you will be getting basically the same all the time, at best a meager 2 to 4 extra cents per image, but no matter your level you will never get again the 0.25$. So SS announces a week in advance a cut of 60% of what they used to pay us, which is of course a 60% increase in their revenues. Many of us arrived to SS frustrated with Getty paying as low as 0.01$ for an image. But truth be told, Getty also pays much more for other images, thus I calculated the average per image of my last 3000 sales in Getty and all payments considered it comes to 0.496$/image. So thanks SS for sending me back to Getty where, even it not extraordinary, my talent and energy are much better invested. Bye bye SS.

12 minutes ago, JordiStock said:

Now that we are a few days into the new system here is the joke with the new Levels invention: Its is basically irrelevant, only meant to keep you busy with nonsense while hiding a 50-60% cut in revenue. Before we were getting a flat 0.25$/Subscription download. I am currently at Level 3 (25%) and what I am getting per subscription download? 0.10$ for most images, 0.12% for a few of them. To note that 0.10% is the minimum payout we will get even at Level 1. So, regardless of your level, you will be getting basically the same all the time, at best a meager 2 to 4 extra cents per image, but no matter your level you will never get again the 0.25$. 

Exactly. Shutterstock can also say now they were wrong, and we can have our old levels back, they won't do the reset, and some people will be happy about it (I saw people demanding exactly that). I hope in a few days everyone will become aware what this new deal really means. Nothing to do with levels.

After many years of hard work here at SS getting to level 5 only to have this greed wipe it all out in a week !. I am also dismayed by any lack of response by the company to this issue on this and all other forums, it is the silence we associate with guilty behavior as there is no reasonable answer to fair minded questions. I have (had) 6500 images in my portfolio here and have just suspended my sales to remove them from SS database i encourage you all to do the same. This company turns over half a billion dollars every year and has the audacity to do this to the people who make their products, I will only accept this if the SS employees and management also are given the same set of rules they just handed to us, there has to be a limit to this greed motivation and when you factor in the Covid 19 issues around the globe today one must question the timing of this announcement as bad management and leadership at the top. My advice is to not delete your account just suspend it for now as this will ensure they have to keep the files in the database and will cost them to maintain it without being able to sell any of it. Find another stock agency to upload to ( one that treats you fairly, Adobe, dreamstime ect) as this move by SS will be to everyone else's benefit and they will rise in market share while SS deteriorates into oblivion.  

You dont bite the hand that feeds you !!!

If logic works for a gain, Shutterstock, you don't see yourself in the giant mirror.

Excuse me, WHAT!??

I just read the news. Unbelievable, I've really loved SS for many years, but this is too unfair.

Today I got 10 images sold for 0.10c, when I was making 0.36 per image in May.

Thank God I was already migrating to Adobe stock and I don't have to do all the work from zero. I make lots of 0.99c there.

F**k the 0.10c, I respect my work. No thanks.

Deactivated licensing options on my account of 5000+ images right now. If earnings get decent again, I'll reactivate, if not, then so long.

For those who don't know how to deactivate their files, just go to your contrib home page -> account settings (on your user icon) -> Licensing options (click no on both images and video).

Also, good luck to future SS customers, this means the beginning of very bad quality, phone taken images, with crappy keywords and so on.

Totally disgusting!

English:

This deserves to be a poster in two languages.

I never post anything on this forum, I never had time to dedicate myself to creating content, but I can say one thing: "This is a total lack of common sense what they are doing, the greed of Shutterstock has reached an unimaginable limit."

My work is for sale in some stock agencies and none of them adopts a profile as low of royaltes as you will start to adopt, even more so that every year the contributor starts at level 1. This is not fair, after years of contributing you trip us up.

I have already noticed a big drop in my earnings, we are going through bad times, everyone is going through this, all over the world. The market for photographers and designers is already bad, and this is the appreciation you show to give to contributors !!

This new sales policy is going to be very bad for everyone, please review.

Português:

Isso merece ser postador em duas linguas.

Eu nunca posto absolutamente nada neste forum, nunca tive tempo por me dedicar a criação de conteudo, mas posso dizer uma coisa:  "Isso é uma total falta de bom senso o que estão fazendo, a ganancia do Shutterstock chegou a um limite inimaginavél. " 

O meu trabalho está a venda em algumas agências stock e nenhuma adota um perfil tão baixo de royaltes quanto vocês vão passar a adotar, ainda mais fazendo com que todos os anos o contribuidor comece no nivel 1. Isso não é justo, depois de anos contribuindo vocês passam uma rasteira na gente.

Já notei uma queda bem grande nos meus ganhos,  estamos passando por momentos ruins, todo mundo está passando por isso, no mundo inteiro. O mercado para fotógrafos e designer já é ruim, e essa é a valorização que vocês mostram dar para nos contribuidores!! 

Essa nova politica de vendas vai muito ruim para todos, por favor revejam. 

Utterly disgusted by this shameless and greedy company! I'm furious! Deleted all my content today.
Karma may hit you like a running train, Shutterstock! Traitors! Hope this leads to your bankruptcy. The sooner, the better.
#boycottShutterstock

3 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Hi,

There were two issues some of you reported that should now be resolved.  

1. Downloads showing in the Single & Other column instead of in the Subscriptions column. The tech and product team worked to fix this yesterday, however we saw that it didn’t entirely resolve the issue. Having made some additional fixes, the categorization appears to be working correctly now. Let us know if you see further issues relating to this. 
  2. Image download count exceeding lifetime download count on the dashboard. Some historic (pre-2018) downloads from your referred contributors were included in the image downloads count in error. This issue is also now resolved. You may need to refresh the page to see the corrected amounts. 

Many of you are also asking how a contributor in the higher earning levels can get a 10¢ commission. Shutterstock makes your content available to our global customers, via partnerships and other promotions, and through API partners and resellers who may have a different package and pricing plans based on volume commitments than what’s offered to eCommerce customers. As a result, any contributor can see 10¢ royalties when their content is being licensed through these opportunities. 

NO, JUST NO!!!! UTTERLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!! DELETED MY WHOLE PORTFOLIO TODAY!!!! SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has SS also upset its team of reviewers? They also get paid by the number of images uploaded and approved, no new uploaded images for them equal no new income.

Of my last (and possibly final) batch of 18 images uploaded 4 days ago I had a 100% rejection rate. Very odd when I average around 90% acceptance rate over my portfolio. The images rejected were from a drone, and were taken at the same time, place, lighting and setting of 6 others taken at the same time, uploaded and approved some months ago, and These images are amongst my top selling images. Rejection reason. Sensor not good enough.

My sales at Adobe from a much smaller portfolio of the same images now bring 10x the commission that I receive from SS.

2 hours ago, JordiStock said:

Now that we are a few days into the new system here is the joke with the new Levels invention: Its is basically irrelevant, only meant to keep you busy with nonsense while hiding a 50-60% cut in revenue. Before we were getting a flat 0.25$/Subscription download. I am currently at Level 3 (25%) and what I am getting per subscription download? 0.10$ for most images, 0.12% for a few of them. To note that 0.10% is the minimum payout we will get even at Level 1. So, regardless of your level, you will be getting basically the same all the time, at best a meager 2 to 4 extra cents per image, but no matter your level you will never get again the 0.25$. So SS announces a week in advance a cut of 60% of what they used to pay us, which is of course a 60% increase in their revenues. Many of us arrived to SS frustrated with Getty paying as low as 0.01$ for an image. But truth be told, Getty also pays much more for other images, thus I calculated the average per image of my last 3000 sales in Getty and all payments considered it comes to 0.496$/image. So thanks SS for sending me back to Getty where, even it not extraordinary, my talent and energy are much better invested. Bye bye SS.

It doesn't matter what level you are. I'm level 4. Out of the last 18 downloads, 16 are at $0.16 or less

Stop uploading is not good enough. They are selling our old images anyway and earning good money with them. We should deactivate our portfolio. If they have nothing to sell, maybe they go back to normal... or go to hell. 

Full solidarity is ONLY power we have. Guys ! We are the army with over one milion people !!!