Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

1 hour ago, PSDgraphics said:

I have a serious solution for everybody here but people is not ready to try new things, I already contacted some of you even before this thing with SS but never got any positive response. In short, selling images on own website.

BTW I disabled my photos on SS to, I was not affected a lot since I had a very small number of images here.

I agree. It's really important if you are in a niche. If you only sell popular topic and that which is not unique it is a hard proposition. 
I will be doing so and have already started to set up and upload.

Rick Lohre

RickLohre.com
DepartureStock.com
rick@ricklohre.com

@Kate Shutterstock, can we get an explanation on how the SOD images are now priced? Why are we getting a sudden deluge of $0.1 royalties for SOD images? Are you selling our images for less than a $1 to customers without a subscription? I didn't see any announcements about changes in pricing structure and the website still shows the lowest price is for a 2-pack priced at $29. Why are we only getting $0.1 of that $14.5 per image charge?

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 1.25.36 PM.jpg

22 minutes ago, GiorgioN said:

A little bit missleading it's about the whole Adobe Inc not only Adobe Stock

True, but on the other hand  gives indication that the Adobe as a whole will be able to absorb much more financial impact than SS

6 minutes ago, Rick Lohre said:

I agree. It's really important if you are in a niche. If you only sell popular topic and that which is not unique it is a hard proposition. 
I will be doing so and have already started to set up and upload.

There is your piece of the pie waiting for you ;) I am glad you will try it, I sold first graphic on my own website 11 years ago. Some of people here are so good, with a huge potential for self hosted shops.

2 hours ago, asia_sko said:

Last image that I will be uploading after getting 0.10c all day

fucku.jpg

A fantastic image! Very stocky indeed! And extremely trendy right now. I'd suggest to upload it in the other microstock agencies. Not here! Too much work for here!

2 hours ago, Boris Stroujko said:

Yes, great, but 325 000 000 images, or 99.7%, were not deactivated. May be we all really should.

Many was working with just Shutterstock, it will take time to transfer tags of images to uploads at other agencies. Many will remove by time, many will not upload anymore.SS will lose no 1 market place rank by time

most disappointing is the lack of respect for the authors in connection with this whole situation. why not just write that we are forced to lower deductions for some reason. why not write a detailed table with deductions? we do not understand how prices are formed. all this is disrespect for the authors and it most disappoints

sorry for my english

I've been on Shutterstock for 7 years now and have alwas been a big fan – as a vector illustration contributor as well as a customer for my design agency. The search engine was great until a few months ago when shuttersrock decided to delete the "popular" search option > FAIL!! Now you get many junk images like when searching on Adobe Stock. This was very disappointing for me and my fellow customers and I assume this led to lower sales.
Now they also kill the sales rates for contributors. Until June I sold very good on Shutterstock and it was fun working on new stuff and I uploaded a lot the last months. But now I definitely won't upload anthing new for the next months until I can see if it's still worth the hard work.

On 6/3/2020 at 5:01 PM, Evdokimov Maxim said:

most disappointing is the lack of respect for the authors in connection with this whole situation. why not just write that we are forced to lower deductions for some reason.

Literally communicated to you in the first post "We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content"...

5 hours ago, Natwood said:

Of course, everyone decides for themselves whether to deactivate their portfolio or not. It's sad, but seems like there are many people who want to wait or even decided to stay and keep getting humiliating pay for their work, even those who have amazing portfolios.
What's surprises me is that some people don't want to understand that the purpose of deactivating is not to annoy SS. Deactivating is the only way to save the job for all microstock artists. If everyone leaves SS now and goes to other microstocks instead, then those other microstocks will start soon bring them the same profit that SS used to bring before it was captured by reptiloids (just kidding, I don't believe in repriloids, just in flat Earth). If you believe that the old good Shutterstock will be back one day (when the reptiloids are gone), I guess it's enough just to deactivate sales, there is no need to delete all the images.

THIS ^

Hi,

There were two issues some of you reported that should now be resolved.  

1. Downloads showing in the Single & Other column instead of in the Subscriptions column. The tech and product team worked to fix this yesterday, however we saw that it didn’t entirely resolve the issue. Having made some additional fixes, the categorization appears to be working correctly now. Let us know if you see further issues relating to this. 
  2. Image download count exceeding lifetime download count on the dashboard. Some historic (pre-2018) downloads from your referred contributors were included in the image downloads count in error. This issue is also now resolved. You may need to refresh the page to see the corrected amounts. 

Many of you are also asking how a contributor in the higher earning levels can get a 10¢ commission. Shutterstock makes your content available to our global customers, via partnerships and other promotions, and through API partners and resellers who may have a different package and pricing plans based on volume commitments than what’s offered to eCommerce customers. As a result, any contributor can see 10¢ royalties when their content is being licensed through these opportunities. 

1 hour ago, MilsiArt said:

Maybe yes, maybe no. I predict acquisition from Getty Images here!

Don't know if Getty, but it's likely that there's a sale going on and as a condition the buyers forced Shutterstock to take these unpopular measures. It would explain a lot.

2 minutes ago, Patricio_Murphy said:

Don't know if Getty, but it's likely that there's a sale going on and as a condition the buyers forced Shutterstock to take these unpopular measures. It would explain a lot.

This makes a lot of sense. Very likely scenario.

14 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Hi,

1. Downloads showing in the Single & Other column instead of in the Subscriptions column. The tech and product team worked to fix this yesterday, however we saw that it didn’t entirely resolve the issue. Having made some additional fixes, the categorization appears to be working correctly now. Let us know if you see further issues relating to this. 

Many of you are also asking how a contributor in the higher earning levels can get a 10¢ commission. Shutterstock makes your content available to our global customers, via partnerships and other promotions, and through API partners and resellers who may have a different package and pricing plans based on volume commitments than what’s offered to eCommerce customers. As a result, any contributor can see 10¢ royalties when their content is being licensed through these opportunities. 

@Kate Shutterstock 

1. I see no changes in my account. Still a deluge of $0.1 SOD sales.

2. Why wasn't the piece about the partnerships, promotions, and API resellers included in the royalty change comms? If we've never seen those rates before, and we are seeing them now, don't you think it's Shutterstock's duty to make us aware of the upcoming change?

33 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Shutterstock makes your content available to our global customers, via partnerships and other promotions, and through API partners and resellers who may have a different package and pricing plans based on volume commitments than what’s offered to eCommerce customers. As a result, any contributor can see 10¢ royalties when their content is being licensed through these opportunities. 

Is there an option to opt out from making my content available through SS partners, through promotions and trough API partners.

Thank you.

This new pricing sucks.  I am not a large contributor but do not plan on continuing under this pricing structure.  I have downloaded many of same images to adobe and receive more (often .99) per sale.  Will now focus all my efforts there.  SS was recommended when I first started looking at using them as a fair company to work with.  Left Alamy for the same reason.  Good luck in future SS.  You need quality content not a lot of snapshots.

35 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Hi,

2. Image download count exceeding lifetime download count on the dashboard. Some historic (pre-2018) downloads from your referred contributors were included in the image downloads count in error. This issue is also now resolved. You may need to refresh the page to see the corrected amounts. 

Yeah that is scam! Shame

Just now, eskystudio said:

Alamy and DepisitPhotos allow you to do this. I don't have high hopes SS will provide it too.

I had deleted account and all my stuff from Depositphotos because turning off these ''partners sales" had no effect on amazing $0.16 on demand sales.