Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

1 minute ago, Eric Urquhart said:

How do you know this?

Go on Shutterstock to the search bar and click search without entering a search term. Then you will see a number of search results on the top. Remember that number and later do it again. I searched for Images only (no illustrations.)  Right now they show 213,082,720 stock photos. 

First time posting, but I felt it necessary under these circumstances. 

This is very sad. Having SS turn their backs on the people that built their business feels like being stabbed in the back. With the mass exodus, I feel like SS will have to reverse their decision soon, but we'll see. All we can do is get the word out to the other contributors so that they are aware. 

I will say, I have been earning the most at https://motionarray.com.  I know it's a membership site, but my work is downloaded 500x there over the other sites, and as a result my earnings are 500x too. 

Here's a screenshot of my earnings last month. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 10.22.12 AM.png

4 hours ago, Primus1 said:

I'm selling my HD clips with price of about $10 per piece for ages, (about 33% of that is mine)! And from first hand experience I can tell you I earned more (other site) per clip in a life time, than on any other agency I am in. And I am on many of those sites. Not top performer or pro contributor, but It income is good, even on such low price and with non-pro clips I have to offer.

Most important: price per clip, photo does not matter (that much) as income at the end of the month does.

Not that I'd not like to sell clip per $100 and photo per $50 ... do not get me wrong, please!

"Most important: price per clip, photo does not matter (that much) as income at the end of the month does."

What are you smoking? I wanna smoke that too so I can earn same money as you, no matter of the price of the footage/photo!

4 minutes ago, Tomsickova Tatyana said:

Where can I follow the numbers, please? I deleted all of my waiting in queue images and stopped uploading, I will wait a few days and will disable my port, if nothing change for the good :( I make a living from microstock and I am totally devastated :(

Go on Shutterstock to the search bar and click search without entering a search term. Then you will see a number of search results on the top. Remember that number and later do it again. I searched for Images only (no illustrations.)  Right now they show 213,082,720 stock photos. 

Untitled-3.jpg

7 minutes ago, Mirko Rosenau said:

I just had a look and I see this: 

Images

325,330,584 stock photos, vectors, and illustrations are available royalty-free.

Ok, I reduced it to only photos and the numbers are going down

213,070,382 stock photos and photography are available royalty-free.

Still huge amount, i am afraid SS won't feel any difference

38 minutes ago, 9dream studio said:

Hi everyone! I have a portfolio of 114 K images on SS. Unfortunately, the new earning system does not allow me to continue working (in the way I work now), because the cost of producing photos does not pay off. I expect 75% drop in revenue (from SS). There is no payback in this business anymore. I stopped uploading to SS, but I can’t delete my port now (maybe latter, when I will fine the way out), because I have obligatory payments that I can’t stop at once. I'm sure not only me ... I'v read many posts on the forum and I am very sorry that so many talented artists have lost their job now (especially now, in this difficult period), for many of us this is the only job, so we are going through difficult times. I wish everyone to find a way out and continue to do what we all love to do and get good pay for this.

I think Shutterstock have serious problems (we simply don't have enough information about this), and unfortunately it decided to die like Titanic, taking all the contributors to the bottom. I do not think that any other stocks in the near future will be able to compensate us the losses that we got now. But this is a market. There are buyers who need images and footages, and there are artists, who knows how to create it. Sooner or later, we will meet each other in some other place. 

Unfortunately, I do not have much time to read FB and forums regularly, but I am ready to support and join any good ideas that will allow us to continue our work. Let’s hope we will find a way out. 

Everything comes to the end. At that moment we see the end of one of the strongest and really good agencies ever. Rip

You have a solid boat in this Titanic situation: you have one of those tremendous and quality portfolios which customers will go to find on the other sites if they don't find it here.

6 hours ago, AnastasiaOsipova said:

What beautiful photos of animals!!! This is excellent!!! I would really like to draw vector portraits based on these photos. Not for Shutterstock, though...

Thank you! If you are not planning on reselling the portraits you certainly all welcome to purchase from my other sites (see my website for details). Sorry - can't allow you to remake them for commercial sale. Personal use or to advertise your skills - sure!

A good idea would be that all contributors put our images/videos back to zero on January 1st, every year.

We should all make this tiny adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our stock agencies, and reward best commercial practices with greater earnings potential. 

Bye, bye, F*ckerstock.

10 minutes ago, Tomsickova Tatyana said:

Images

325,330,584 stock photos, vectors, and illustrations are available royalty-free.

You should not be looking at numbers at all. Whether the go down up is not important.

What is important is presence of new quality content and the old quality content.

Without it you can have a collection of 1 billion images with absolute 0 commercial value.

Clients maybe enticed my big collection numbers but won't buy anything if it is just a collection of snapshot low quality content 

2 minutes ago, eskystudio said:

You should not be looking at numbers at all. Whether the go down up or done is not important.

What is important is presence of new quality content and the old quality content.

Without it you can have a collection of 1 billion images with absolute 0 commercial value.

Clients maybe enticed my big collection numbers but won't buy anything if it is crap.

Very true, just browse the first three pages of new content and nothing fancy, I think most of the good actists have stopped uploading

6 minutes ago, Tomsickova Tatyana said:

Images

Search for all images shows 572 K images less than it was about 24 hours ago. Kind of sad watching it...

20 minutes ago, David Osborn said:

£6500 GBP for a new Canon EOS1Dx and 10c for an image taken with it. £6000+ for a trip to Kenya and 10c for an image taken there. The mathematics no longer work and users have been getting away with using quality images far to cheaply for far to long.

It is no longer worth the time or effort uploading to stock, so if you’re unhappy about it then stop doing it, if you withdraw your images from use then some changes may eventually occur, whilst folks happily take 10c as a reward for an image taken on £10k’s worth of equipment nothing will change. Apart from the fact you’ll never afford to change your camera!

It is a sas situation

4 minutes ago, Holly Kuchera said:

Спасибо! Если вы не планируете перепродавать портреты, вы, безусловно, можете приобрести их на других моих сайтах (подробности см. На моем веб-сайте). Извините - не могу позволить вам переделать их для коммерческой продажи. Личное использование или для рекламы ваших навыков - обязательно!

Oh, no. I will not engage in plagiarism ))) I never copy a photo because it wouldn't be fair.I just watch and get inspired. Just because of the latest news, all the inspiration has gone.

SS was a very pleasant hobby with financial profit for me.

But I do not understand the reasons for loading works here in the future.

$ 0.10?

4th level ...

2 minutes ago, AnastasiaOsipova said:

Oh, no. I will not engage in plagiarism ))) I never copy a photo because it wouldn't be fair.I just watch and get inspired. Just because of the latest news, all the inspiration has gone.

Feel free to be inspired!!! I'd love to see what you end up with - I've had artists ask before and if they send me a jpg of what they did I promote their work on my business Facebook page, (Tortoise Productions, Inc.)

23 minutes ago, Tomsickova Tatyana said:

I am, thank you! But SS was my best selling :(

It was the best selling site because it was the biggest one and it was hard for other microstocks to compete with SS. When contributors deactivate their portfolios here, SS will get smaller, and some other fair microstocks will become best selling sites. 

0.10 cents per download! I'm in a great surprise. More recently, I changed my machines by investing $ 7000. (nikon z 7, z85 mm, z13-30 mm, 70-200mm) I have been contributing for 10 years and this is the level we have reached? It was announced that the level reset will be done on January 1 every year. Why did they instantly reduce our revenues to a funny figure starting from June 1st? At least, if they used the downloads from the beginning of this year to leveling up. Wouldn't it be fair? 

It would be best to stop sending photos for now.

I believe that the new boss is completely unaware of the specifics of microstock activities. He does not understand that this is a real profession, not a hobby for authors. He does not understand that customers need relevant high-quality images. They do not need a giant pile of images in which to get lost! 

Perhaps the new CEO thinks he is saving Shutterstock from stagnation or bankruptcy, but in fact he ruins this business right now.

1 hour ago, shamancko said:

I am so mad( I honestly don't understand, why company can do such thing.  I was working with Shutterstock 7 years, and all that time i thought how to make my illustrations more good for selling. Now I shall never work as designer anymore. I am going in art. Because even if I end up selling traditional painted landscapes on a street, I'll probably get more money.

Painting landscapes is cool. But you can also keep selling you illustrations, they are awesome. SS is not the only place to sell them. Do you sell on other microstocks?

And what about print on demand sites, like Redbubble, Zuzzle etc? This illustration, for example, would look perfect on black T-shirts and on other merch too https://www.shutterstock.com/ru/image-illustration/red-cat-grass-graphic-feline-illustration-1165524406 

1 hour ago, D. Pimborough said:

If you select No then your images will be removed from sale however they will disappear from your catalog manager too but not from the server.

If at a later date you change your mind and select Yes then your images will reappear and go back on sale just as before complete with descriptions and keywords.

If you have sets in the Catalog Manager, you can still see all the images in the set after the portfolio is gone (I can anyway). Might be worth making a set if you don't have any before you disable your portfolio sales