Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

I am so mad( I honestly don't understand, why company can do such thing.  I was working with Shutterstock 7 years, and all that time i thought how to make my illustrations more good for selling. Now I shall never work as designer anymore. I am going in art. Because even if I end up selling traditional painted landscapes on a street, I'll probably get more money.

3 minutes ago, Tomsickova Tatyana said:

Honestly, I thought the same. :( 

You will start with very very very much lower royalties, since the 30%, 35% only work for the high-end sales. The new standard for most subscription sales is 10 cents.

1 hour ago, GiGi Brock said:

How Sad and disappointing

I guess this is the new way of life. Demote people for doing a good job. To watch my .25 cents drop to .10 cents was heartbreaking. I can't find the words that fully express my disappointment in how we and our art have been devalued. 

Yes it is I normal have .33 cents now drop to .11 cents. I not upload my work here any more

11 minutes ago, Tomsickova Tatyana said:

Honestly, I thought the same. :( 

I totally agree. Looking at this from a business perspective, there will be short term gain for Shutterstock, but actually this will start the down trend and beginning of the end for Shutterstock. All quality content (that cost money to create) will be pulled and there will be a poor selection in quality and variety left. This is not a top leader portfolio. 

1 hour ago, Antony McAulay said:

I've been with fotolia/adobe for longer than i was with shutterstock and always considered them to be strong competition but hopefully they will overtake SS now.

Nice to know. I have a small port there (my stuff is mostly editorial) of only 558 images, but haven't seen too much sales. However, through Wirestock most sales are Adobe.

35 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Kate, is this a percentage of what the buyer pays in their country so a variable payment to us as buyers pay different amounts for the same type of deal depending on which country they are in?  There is a massive amount of confusion and debate about a) what we will be paid and b) why we are receiving the amounts we are especially for ODs. Percentages aren't enough without knowing precisely what the percentage is of. Some clarification is badly needed. Thanks.

You will not get an answer.

27.000 images pulled within only 1 hour.  Contributors pulling their content!

Shutterstock is now losing content with increased speed. Since yesterday morning Shutterstock has over 400.000 images less, despite some new uploads. 

6 hours ago, Lineicons freebird said:
I do not agree with Shutterstock pricing policy and want to deactivate my portfolio. But I can’t deactivate.
Why don’t you let me dispose of my images and my intellectual property?
This error message is not true. I tried to deactivate the portfolio earlier, for the test, but it was the day before yesterday. 

shutter-deactivate.jpg

Wait a couple of days and try again later, hopefully it will work. 

I still have around 30.000 footages and 5.000 images on my hard drives after 9 years working as videographer. So glad that I did not upload many to SS because keywording, titling, uploading, waiting, got rejecting, reuploading ... took so much time that I dont want to waste. Feel sorry for those who contributed for so many years, you all deserve more than that.

Save your unique content and sell on better agencies.

Over and Out.

25 minutes ago, Oliver Denker said:

You will start with very very very much lower royalties, since the 30%, 35% only work for the high-end sales. The new standard for most subscription sales is 10 cents.

Yep, I already found that out. I am level 5 and now I think there won't be that much difference on fisrt of January, since most of the sales are for 10 cents ;(

2 hours ago, Mirko Rosenau said:
All, I'm concerned that if Shutterstock gets away with this price dumping it will catch on to other platforms so that they can compete with the low prices.

The only way to battle this - we must pull our content - that Shutterstock has nothing to sell. Other platforms will look more attractive to clients.

So please, if not already done, freeze your content or delete.

Of course, everyone decides for themselves whether to deactivate their portfolio or not. It's sad, but seems like there are many people who want to wait or even decided to stay and keep getting humiliating pay for their work, even those who have amazing portfolios.
What's surprises me is that some people don't want to understand that the purpose of deactivating is not to annoy SS. Deactivating is the only way to save the job for all microstock artists. If everyone leaves SS now and goes to other microstocks instead, then those other microstocks will start soon bring them the same profit that SS used to bring before it was captured by reptiloids (just kidding, I don't believe in repriloids, just in flat Earth). If you believe that the old good Shutterstock will be back one day (when the reptiloids are gone), I guess it's enough just to deactivate sales, there is no need to delete all the images.

This really hurts @Kate Shutterstock , please do not ignore our messages, this is not the time to remain silent, say something... Im going from 0.36 cent per download to 0.10 cent for the vast majority of my downloads, this is horrible... The way you announced the new fee structure you made it seem like this could potentially result in better earning for some contributor who produce quality  however after seeing the earnings in the past 3 days, there is no way that this can be true... Surely you did not expect anyone at all to earn more, how could this be? Everyone is going to lose no matter what quality you upload and no matter what level you are at, 10 cent per image is simply unnaceptable, if it would happen only once in a while that could pass but seeing as how the overwhelming majority of downloads are at 10 cent this really hurts... years of hard work, thousands and thousands of contributor, this is an enormously huge pay cut... does Shutterstock has anything to say about this, any response at all?

Please you must increase the minimum, I cannot stress this enough, 10 cent per image is basically the same as stealing, not only stealing but a slap in the face at the same time... Please, we need to hear from Shutterstock about this, surely this is all a big mistake and you have some plans to improve things, i can't believe that Shutterstock actually think that this is sustainable and the way forward, it's baffling...

We need an official or unofficial answer from Shutterstock asap.

14 minutes ago, Mirko Rosenau said:

27.000 images pulled within only 1 hour.  Contributors pulling their content!

Shutterstock is now losing content with increased speed. Since yesterday morning Shutterstock has over 400.000 images less, despite some new uploads. 

How do you know this?

£6500 GBP for a new Canon EOS1Dx and 10c for an image taken with it. £6000+ for a trip to Kenya and 10c for an image taken there. The mathematics no longer work and users have been getting away with using quality images far to cheaply for far to long.

It is no longer worth the time or effort uploading to stock, so if you’re unhappy about it then stop doing it, if you withdraw your images from use then some changes may eventually occur, whilst folks happily take 10c as a reward for an image taken on £10k’s worth of equipment nothing will change. Apart from the fact you’ll never afford to change your camera!