Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

3 minutes ago, Kevin Standage said:

Hi Paula,

It's quite simple. We've all switched to the new tiered earnings model, the tier you are on is based on your sales up to June 1st. So as a Level 4 you are on 30% now per unit (photo) sold.

Most of your earnings are probably from subs, the most popular being the 350 pack or 750 pack. The 350 pack effectively works out at 34c per photo, the 750 pack is 20c per photo. So a lot of your sales amounts to 30% of those two values, capped at a minumum of 10c. So regardless of what tier you are on, sales from those packs will always amount to around 10c.

Whoever came up with this structure needs to looking for another job quite frankly.

That is an excellent explanation, very accurate.

I am $1.50 away from $35 for the month. The prices I have received this month for images are all over the map (level 5). I have, as have many others, asked SS to explain the earnings structure, shows a spreadsheet but they stay silent. I don’t trust SS to be fair and honest so when I hit that payout mark of $35, everything gets turned off. The new earnings structure is horrific but the lack of transparency is unacceptable to me. I wish we could insist on an audit on contributors payouts because this may have been going on for some time.

How many of us have spent thousands of hours and ruined our eyes zoomed in at 200% looking for sensor dust, chromatic aberration and highlight clipping just to pass inspection? What a waste of time. 

I can't believe you actually try to justify this kind of downgrade by lowering down the bar. After 30% tax from outside USA, I'm getting $0.07 for each subscription.

So where does the tier percentage applied again? So 20% is the tier, how much they are paying if I got $0.10 per image?

That is just absurd! 

23 minutes ago, Flat vectors said:

After updates by SS (june 1) my monthly earnings diagram for May has changed -20$ (3 downloads). 

I complained about it to support team, and their answer was that SS system detected fraudulent transactions.

bug.png

F.ck

I create vector images. I was just beginning to get to the point where I was making enough from my work to feel it was substantial. It seems to be about a 75% drop in income so far this month. I am at level 5 and when I see that I have 16 downloads and only earn a little over a dollar, that is simply not worth it to me. I don't think that Shutterstock's profits have dropped, so why should my income from it drop? If Shutterstock does not do something about this, I will be compelled to pull all my images and drop out of my account. Come on, Shutterstock! Do the right thing. If your loyal contributors are treated this way by you, there is something wrong here. Please fix this unfair situation.

I'm uploading a quite clear explanation of why I AM LEAVING SHUTTERSTOCK.

You are worst than slave owner in a plantation in Mississipi during the Civil War.

Shame on you, sitting on your desk and doing nothing while the contributors create all the value of your selfish website. Without us you are an empty shell.

Schermata 2020-06-03 alle 16.16.44.png

First time posting, but I felt it necessary under these circumstances. :(

This is very sad. Having SS turn their backs on the people that built their business feels like being stabbed in the back. With the mass exodus, I feel like SS will have to reverse their decision soon, but we'll see. All we can do is get the word out to the other contributors so that they are aware. 

I will say I've been earning really well over on https://motionarray.com. I know, I know... it's a membership site but the downloads of my files are 500x there, and my income too. I just thought I'd spread the word to help the community out.

Here's a screen shot of my earnings from last month. Good luck everyone. 🤞

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 10.22.12 AM.png

15 hours ago, Zia Liu said:

希望所有的贡献者都不要继续上传素材,不值得投入

对, 大家团结起来一起disable掉。

After 13 years as a contributor with 58,719 downloads from 4325 images, I have now now disabled my portfolio. 

It sickens me how far they have stooped to stab us all in the back this way.

We forced Fotolia into an embarrassing u turn over their ridiculous 'Dollar Club' idea by boycotting and we can do the same here. 

#boycottshutterstock 

I've been contributing to SS for 15 years, my income depends on stock sales, and I've spent countless hours creating quality content for them. As of June 01 my commission is suddenly 4x lower. These greedy clowns are pure evil!

Hi all,

So yesterday I had my first sale for $0.10 and I wrote my comment to this but it wasn't published - I can only suspect that moderator cancelled it because  I did mention in it that:

The whole situation is very worrying and unnecessary and since Shutterstock Founder and CEO Jon Oringer stepped down In April this year in 2020, there is probably new chief in the house who is making new law and order. As always when power grab is taking place.

I also mentioned and quoted email from other big photo stock agency beginning with D... with only about 134 million stock photos:

As of June, all contributors will receive a 10% increase in royalties value. We believe in helping and caring for each other during these trying times. Be safe! 

So perhaps instead of uploading to agency S with 327 million stock photos it is worth to upload to other agencies. 

I can only wish all the best to contributors.

Thank you,

Jakub 

6 minutes ago, Antony McAulay said:

After 13 years as a contributor with 58,719 downloads from 4325 images, I have now now disabled my portfolio. 

It sickens me how far they have stooped to stab us all in the back this way.

We forced Fotolia into an embarrassing u turn over their ridiculous 'Dollar Club' idea by boycotting and we can do the same here. 

#boycottshutterstock 

Fotolia - Adobe remained the best. In recent months, earnings from Adobe have come very close to those of SS for the same portfolio

32 minutes ago, Andrew Burgess said:

Yes bullshit, I feel your pain. Cracking spot up north OZ. I just disabled my folio.

What application do you use? I've never seen the number of sales in SS like this under the photo.

Hey all, 
I'm not a big contributor but I'm 3 level ranked.  I'm not working at SS full-time, as other people who angry and disappointed now - just improve my skills to work with the audience and drawing for practice. 
Anyway, during last few days it was 0,1 for EPS-10 source file and max was - 0,11. Don't want to say that take a good photo much easier then drawing something, but there is a lot of steps in drawing (sketch, colorizing, uploading) The most expensive part of artist work is the source and there is no reason now to upload vector-sources for SS. @Kate Shutterstock  0,1 it's not money for anyone, even for you and especially for your CEO. I just want to say that  even huge studios, who fed SS, don't need this 0,1 cause they should pay something to artists, which works with them. It's just a business and no one needs to spend their time for nothing. I know, that it's not your fault, @Kate Shutterstock, but, please, tell mr.Pavlovsky from me that: let he draw and take photos for SS by themself - probably then, when he get thousands from 10c and pay his employees from this 10c, then he will be a real CEO. 
Best regards and have a nice day 

1 minute ago, concept w said:

Fotolia - Adobe remained the best. In recent months, earnings from Adobe have come very close to those of SS for the same portfolio

I've been with fotolia/adobe for longer than i was with shutterstock and always considered them to be strong competition but hopefully they will overtake SS now.