Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

I can’t believe I’m going to delete my account in a few days... All those years of hard work did not pay off. Is there somewhere we can find who is working in management? Black list them. Whenever I see their name somewhere...You won’t see me.

So, 16 years and 72,000 sales are out the window, as of January 1. For the last year, A has gotten to be more important, while SS less and less. 

For the last 6 months, sales there continue to rise while here they continue to shrink. 

I stopped uploading to IS, but I never thought it would happen here. 

While putting everyone on an even playing field, you put yourself there also. 

The low earners may be cheering until they realize it is the large libraries that attracts the buyers. And they just gave us no reason to continue here.

Beyond stupid.

1 minute ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

When the new earnings structure goes into effect, the payout for subscription plans will not be less than 10¢.

"Not be less than 10 cents" That's comforting.

So, starting in Jan. I can expect to make a dime per download.

They have updated and answered - but actually just copy-pasted the old text in different ordering.

What I actually do hate is when a step has been claimed to solve a problem that actually does not exist. I have been a contributor for 4 years but I have been more active only for  few months. I have never been bothered that someone else who has been around longer, gets more money. 30 years ago I lived in Soviet Union that already promoted this kind of equality that everyone suffers equally. Except the leaders of course.

A problem for the new creators has NEVER been the fact that someone earns a bigger fee - it has only been the fact that it is hard to get the new photos found and downloaded among the old and popular ones. It does not matter to the contributors or subscribers, which percentage someone else earns. So this at the moment seems like some bad copywriting to justiy the change. 

But what I have been for much more years - a subscriber. Over the years I have paid thousands of euros for the subscription plans and usually I have only used half the images. If those new plans should take this also into account, it would be only fair. If someone paying 129 euros for 350 images only downloads one image in some months, it would be fair to calculate 129 euros as the licence fee for this image. And 15% fee would bee quite ok.

But if they plan to just rip hard working creative people off - I will move my subscription elsewhere. Let's wait. Maybe they posted a confusing message in purpose to see the reactions and decide how hard they will squeeze.

my admiral is having fun with us. we are going to istock. 💃💃💃

9 minutes ago, Milo J said:

The largest subscription plan is $0.33 per image. That's what the buyer pays. So, at the lowest level, you will get 15% of that $0.33 - not quite 5 cents.

Please review the first comment in this thread for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

When the new earnings structure goes into effect, the payout for subscription plans will not be less than 10¢.

1 minute ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

Same.  The factories are the only ones that'll win here and win on bulk.  Everyone else loses.

Realistically for me the best i can hope for in a year is after a few months to get onto a tier thats 5% lower than im currently getting.  Factor in the much lower earnings from january to get to that stage and im losing big time.

Video currently makes up 40% of my earnings.  This new thing is based on numbers.  Its going to obliterate that figure,

Richard, forget the tiers, and consider the effective commission you will be getting for any given year.

Based on my sales I am going to be down from 30% to somewhere around 23%

4 minutes ago, Kathy Hutchins said:

Please provide rates for subscriptions so I can better assess how this will affect me.   You are making far reaching decisions with my income, and yet are not providing the information necessary to evaluate it.   In viewing the subscription packages, it is difficult to assess what the prices are for non-subscription sales.  The subscription sales vary by packages. 

Starting over on January 1 for levels in not acceptable.  I have over 440,000 images, with 278,000 lifetime downloads.  Yet, you expect me to be a newbie earnings level each January?   Stock sales is by definition a mix of old an new content.  I find my older content sells far better than one would expect.  Yet, I am only valued for new content, even though the older stock sells well?  Some provision for lifetime sales needs to be taken into account when setting levels.  Better yet, take a rolling 12 month average. 

You make money off our work, yet, are now going to take more without explanation as to what it really means.  Transparency is necessary.  Start NOW, please!

They want you to work full time for "new content" as a micro-slave, earnings .10-.15cents/image.

I have a batch of images going through here now. Each month I take time out from producing content for Adobe that sells / makes more than anything submitted here... from now on, I won't, I'll continue to work on content for them and not bother working on stuff here. If I use that time to produce more content for them, it will be worth far more than the $0.10 shuitterstcok are prepared to pay. Forget the new levels etc, the $0.10 is the killer here. Kate's right, it is embarrassing... embarrassing that they should even think they could get away with this.

In any normal grown-up business relationship there would be at least some pretence at consultation before such sweeping and potentially financially detrimental changes were introduced. it strongly looks to me like most contributors will be made worse off by the changes. I see absolutely no loyalty to long-term contributors either which is sad. The bottom line is that SS owns few assets and is completely dependent upon contributors for the product in which it trades but still pulls things like this. Shame on the company. 

Please review the first comment in this thread for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

Will not be less than 10c. It will be 10 FREAKIN CENTS.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

22 minutes ago, Denis OREA said:

Do we have our own clients already?? No, we don't. People who are using SS as clients, they are doing it for a reason. There are a lot of other stock sites already... Most of them are just wasting of time. Some of them selling pics for less than 0.20$ ☹️ Adobe stock are the best at this moment, my opinion.  SS was my second choice, that's why I'm worried about this changes. It would be so sad if SS become one of the worst

I know some large contributors left SS earlier and sell stock on their own. Of course this idea takes effort on promotion and smm. But on the other hand, don't you think it's worth the effort?

I don't understand one thing. There is some agencies like freepik and others, who offer 0.075 or 0.10 per download to contributors, but they actually sell your images. Shutterstock doesn't sell so good, especially new content. How you can beat that? If you want to give your contributors the same low royalties, you must give same traffic and sales to be attractive for them. But as soon as I see, there isn't something like that. There is no equal ammount of sales, so it doesn't look good. 

39 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Yeah, super embarrassing.

Imho you're embarrased about the wrong thing. We can all live with a typo, not with a HUGE hit in the face (and wallet).

3 minutes ago, Peter Hamada said:

all these bigmouth people here and most of you will do NOTHING!!

i will be back here in a month or two and i bet that 90% of the people are stil active here.. (&&%& sheeps.

you will keep wasting your TIME uploadings images for CENTS.

as if you have unlimited LIFETIME.

i pity you...

Well lets do something, I already deleted all my videos from istock, and I'm willing to do the same here, at the moment I stopped the upload. Trust me, I am not in a good place right now, what is clear is that we can not see a future with this or any other stock footage market.

4 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

On your contributor dashboard, under your name in the upper right hand corner, go to account settings, then do this:

2020-05-26_13-47-24.thumb.jpg.d3ba1530983b2dd54738ace87317a701.jpg

Unless Shutterstock says it's all a mistake and shows there are no ill effects, I will deactivate my port of June 1. This is the limit.

1 hour ago, Mo Azizi said:

I have always been a fan of Shutterstock. I convinced my friends to join. I have made YouTube videos about Shutterstock and many many people signed up using my link and uploaded to Shutterstock.

I have put a lot, I really mean a lot of effort into Shutterstock because I liked it a lot. I didn't upload to any other agency because I simply liked Shutterstock.

When I read the email, it broke my heart. I will start uploading my work to other stock agencies now and I will tell my friends (who are professional creators) not to bother with Shutterstock anymore. I will probably make a YouTube video about it too.

Shutterstock will have short term gain but definitely long term losses. Thanks for the opportunities Shutterstock, all good things must come to an end. 

You really summed it up for me there too!

Just now, Kate Shutterstock said:

Until January 1st... Than we ALL will receive 10¢ for download.

Just when I was certain that SS can't go lower...this emerges. 

Which is less than 1/3 of what you pay now! I'd love to see your income and the rest of SS drop by 2/3rds as well. Given that you mainly sell subs these days, it doesn't really make sense to send any new stuff here!