Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

i know business is business, and SS is not the first agency mark down the price.

when IS do the same thing, i remember many contributor also say boycattistock, but the true is istockphoto is still here,

new image uploading seem never decrease.

i need to confess i did not disable IS page and after half year i keep contribute to IS,

the fact is IS allow me to earn monthly income, via some single large sale in clip and photo, but also the large number download with very low subscription price( the lowerst is 0.01 usd). so people still contribute the IS, as you know, exclusive payment is not practical unless your product are unique in the world, otherwise some contributors are from the countries with the lower cost of living index, 0.1 cent is still a money.

but i don't think SS can do the same way like IS. not this time.

in my perilous job, i need to deal with many news agency, AP, Reuters, RT, Gettyimage for editorial image and creative image 
when i become the client, i found that Getty is really a good dealer in photo agency and she make a huge sale network worldwide via competitive package,
not only the editorial image but also the creative image, that why IS are still popular with the design house.

as a contributor i still can earn something through Quantity and Unicity in IS with her biggest boss Getty, what SS do not have any similar network.
even adobe stock they also have the great selling point to design house, the IT background, the package with premiere and PS....
but what going on SS? the only and the biggest advantage you own is:

your huge contributors, not your poor sale team, not your upload UX.(ok fine your keyword tool is quit good then)
first you cut the price, fine. then every year restart? wow, now IS seem more kindness to us although he don't accpet any newsworthy photo

i doubt that how many old contributors are willing to upload new photos to SS and every year become the beginner.

i doubt that how many new contributors hit the target and earn more than 0.1 cent at the end of year.

it is insane.  but thank you i earned 20,000 dollar lifetime in your page, but i know it will never happen again.

i really suggest every contributor as the slide business you need to know the Diversified investment, don't contribute only one agency and make it become the monster.

And all old friends here whatever you come from, even you don't disable your portfolio, you should consider to stop upload any new image from now on!
Let open your calculator and count,  assume  you can make 10000 new and popular images every month every year, remember,   first two months in the new year you are the level 1,  how many ppl can go to the top level?

you can't earn a life by SS now, i am not native speak in eng, sorry if you are difficult to read what i say

The current microstock model was never going to last. Too cheap to the customer, and now approaching point where they can't really take much more away form the contributor.

Entire industry needs a reboot, with some actual thought going into strategy, rather than just selling cheap to get customers in, so that everyone form contributor to customer are satisfied. 

6 hours ago, Holly Kuchera said:

Привет всем. Холли здесь - давний податель (2005), случайный участник форума.

What beautiful photos of animals!!! This is excellent!!! I would really like to draw vector portraits based on these photos. Not for Shutterstock, though...

So, i f a user with subscription for 350 images, this means "Monthly, no contract - 199$/month", buy an image (it costs $0.57), then you earn:

1lvl: 0.57 * 0.15 = $0.0855
2lvl: 0.57 * 0.20 = $0.1140
3lvl: 0.57 * 0.25 = $0.1425
4lvl: 0.57 * 0.30 = $0.1710
5lvl: 0.57 * 0.35 = $0.1995
6lvl: 0.57 * 0.40 = $0.2280

Then, how to earn $0.38 per image as it was?
And is this correct?

I've gone through 2 pages of comments from angry contributors and see no responses from Shutterstock. I find this sad! At the end of the day SS success depends on their contributors and their continuous support. These are difficult times for everybody, no doubt also SS suffers as a result of lower sales, but is this really an answer - to go after the earnings of the ones doing the heavy lifting. This is our creation we have trusted you with! Live and let live is the bases of humanity - Shutterstock, can you put your hand on heart and say that you have done the right thing? If yes, please explain yourself! Because the way you come across is greedy and careless and is not a recipe for success in long term. You now pay too low for our work and resetting the earnings in January is just not fair! I pray and hope that someone will see the light and do the right thing, reviewing and revising this new policy. 

On 5/26/2020 at 4:30 PM, Kate Shutterstock said:

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential. 

Starting on June 1st, 2020, your earnings for each license will be based on your Image Level or your Video Level.  

earnings-for-images-forum.png.89c1b679a14834960f019668d0f028d0.png

earnings-for-videos-forum.png.803eddaf31ab4c904b5d8d660bc0495a.png

On June 1, you will be placed in an Image Level and a Video Level based on your download count so far in 2020. The email you receive today will let you know which levels you are in as of this morning. 

How does it work?

• These new levels are based on the number of times your content is licensed rather than your lifetime earnings. 
  • All contributors reset to level 1 for both images and videos every year on January 1st.
  • There are separate levels for images and for videos, and you graduate through them independently based on your download count in each category.

Hi I think it’s been set to Jan not current year sales (new level 4) so far as I should be on level 4 35% but am only 0.10 commissions. Please review this 

thanks

6 minutes ago, Lorna Roberts said:

Hi I think it’s been set to Jan not current year sales (new level 4) so far as I should be on level 4 35% but am only 0.10 commissions. Please review this 

thanks

Did you just wake up?

Average RPD (Return per Download) compared to lifetime average, seems to be lower by 23% at the moment. It's lower than my record low RPD, so I feel a little bit worried. Especially on what will happen on the January reset. I am level 5.

@Kate Shutterstock do you ever do any check on buyers? It amazes me to see so many "single users" buying 350/750 images per month...

Also, considering that I'm level 5, to get 0.10$
- from a sale made in the US it means the buyer has a single user 750/month subscription with annual contract.... and looks like there are many of them, the majority... WOW! 
- from a sale made in EUR it means the buyer has a single user 350/750 per month subscription, which is less weird than the US case, but still veeeery weird...
(unfortunately it's not worth checking the price from every single country, though I'm sure other examples would come out...)

Hello everyone ! I am outraged by the new enslaving terms of the commission for authors. Our work is not free. If Shutterstock thinks otherwise, I do not wish to cooperate with them anymore. We will simultaneously deactivate the portfolio. Respect the artists!

Hello everyone ! I am outraged by the new enslaving terms of the commission for authors. Our work is not free. If Shutterstock thinks otherwise, I do not wish to cooperate with them anymore. We will simultaneously deactivate the portfolio. Respect the artists!

22 minutes ago, DrObjektiff said:

Did you just wake up?

Lol possible, no you miss my point. It said from 1st June would be new structure based on years sales to date, so I should be on 30%, I appear to be at 15% I think they have made a HUGE technical error and reset everyone to level 1 not based on year sales to date. Yawn going back to sleep 

On 5/26/2020 at 6:30 PM, Kate Shutterstock said:

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential. 

Starting on June 1st, 2020, your earnings for each license will be based on your Image Level or your Video Level.  

earnings-for-images-forum.png.89c1b679a14834960f019668d0f028d0.png

earnings-for-videos-forum.png.803eddaf31ab4c904b5d8d660bc0495a.png

On June 1, you will be placed in an Image Level and a Video Level based on your download count so far in 2020. The email you receive today will let you know which levels you are in as of this morning. 

How does it work?

• These new levels are based on the number of times your content is licensed rather than your lifetime earnings. 
  • All contributors reset to level 1 for both images and videos every year on January 1st.
  • There are separate levels for images and for videos, and you graduate through them independently based on your download count in each category.

you can't  hat

3 minutes ago, Lorna Roberts said:

Lol possible, no you miss my point. It said from 1st June would be new structure based on years sales to date, so I should be on 30%, I appear to be at 15% I think they have made a HUGE technical error and reset everyone to level 1 not based on year sales to date. Yawn going back to sleep 

Your percentage tier is based on how many downloads you have received since January 1st 2020. You will climb up the tiers this year from your starting point (January 1st 2020) and then on January 1st 2021 you will fall back to tier 1. Everyone will. 

I just disabled my portfolio. I think it takes a few hours to be effective.
The day they informed us of the changes, I was afraid to do so, but after two and a half days, I don't think I'm going to lose much despite the fact I'm in 5 level.
I feel angry, sad and very worried about the future since Shutterstock was the main source of my income. I've been living on stock photography exclusively for five years, I don't know what I'm going to do now.
Shutterstock, how could you sink us in a single day?

Photographers work hard to earn money. And now? Since June 1 Shutterstock has lowered the income of contributors seriously. I used to get 0,36 dollar for a subscription and now this is reduced to 0,10 dollar only. This is not acceptable and labour exploitation! Don't upload new images any more!! I think many contributors will close their portfolio and Shutterstock-account.  

I am one of the small contributors, having just 730 pics  in the Portfolio. 

They earned 505 Downloads since Feb 2010. 

Now, the payout dropped from 0,25 $ to as low as 0,10 $. THAT IS SERIOUS. 

How can I ever reach a reasonable payout Level, at least like the one before? 

It is virtually impossible. Especially since all efforts will be RESET by 1st Jan. 

So, why should I put any more work into my SS Portfolio? No more Uploads here…..

Adobe does much better. 

Let's see if SS resets their policy. Otherwise….. 

SS. You gave a new percentage rate. Absolutely not clear from what payment base you pay me this %. I have "Subscriptions" and each sale have different earnings. Explain me please this.

12 minutes ago, asife said:

I just disabled my portfolio. I think it takes a few hours to be effective.
The day they informed us of the changes, I was afraid to do so, but after two and a half days, I don't think I'm going to lose much despite the fact I'm in 5 level.
I feel angry, sad and very worried about the future since Shutterstock was the main source of my income. I've been living on stock photography exclusively for five years, I don't know what I'm going to do now.
Shutterstock, how could you sink us in a single day?

I hope you are also on Adobe. They still have decent commissions