Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

1 minute ago, Gerald Bernard said:

I suggect to all that we stand together and out-out of sales, for both Images and Video. this will hurt shutter stock badly enough to rethink the damage done to our incomes.

Thank you, Jerry B.

I already opted out for sales!  My images still show on SS. I hope tomorrow they are all down!

So I'm a level 4. And for the last 2 days I'm seeing nothing but subs at $0.1 and a bunch of SOD at <$0.15. Based on this statistic (high propensity of minimal payout on subs due to the popularity of large packs over the small, high payout packs), it appears that it really DOESN'T matter if you are a level 1 or a level 4. Does Shutterstock see this as acceptable reward of their top performers, @Kate Shutterstock

Seems like I don't have to wait until Jan 1st to loose >70% of my earnings. 

Hi, can you reconsider the structure of the latest earnings? As a contributor I feel very sad about this ... because my main income as a microstock contributor. And also if other microstock sites follow the shutterstock we will be completely destroyed

I'm level 4.
However, the price per image has been incredibly low.
How can you tell contributors who have long trusted in Shutterstock and tried to increase the price per image to accept this irrational earning structure?
This is clearly abusing power of Shutterstock and unfair to contributors.

This decision forced the contributors to sacrifice.
I can't admit it. 

Hi everyone. Holly here - longtime submitter (2005), occasional forum member.
I'm confused. My husband and I have individual accounts. I'm at Level 4 - he's at Level 3. Our first subscription sales after the rate change showed up today; up to tonight we've had single & other sales at the lovely rates I was expecting (that's sarcasm for those who can't tell). Tonight I get a subscription sale for 20 cents. Okay, yeah - I can fit that on my spreadsheet cause I have a column for that amount back when we started. He get a subscription sale for 87 cents. Whaaaaa????? Not that I won't accept it - I just don't understand it.

I'm not complaining - I had an extended sale for $21 today so I'm still ahead of him for the month. Yes, we have a friendly rivalry :)

As of today I am no longer uploading to SS nor suggesting them to buyers nor promoting SS on my social media accounts. In the past 5 years I've gone from uploading to 5 sites down to 2. Stock photography has been a "hobby" business to me so I'm okay, but my heart goes out to those who depend on the income for their lives and families.

1 hour ago, SvetlanaSF said:

So I'm a level 4. And for the last 2 days I'm seeing nothing but subs at $0.1 and a bunch of SOD at <$0.15. Based on this statistic (high propensity of minimal payout on subs due to the popularity of large packs over the small, high payout packs), it appears that it really DOESN'T matter if you are a level 1 or a level 4. Does Shutterstock see this as acceptable reward of their top performers, @Kate Shutterstock

Seems like I don't have to wait until Jan 1st to loose >70% of my earnings. 

Exactly! I'm a level 4 too and now my subs have reduced from $0.36 to $0.10 and $0.13 and single/other down to $0.10. I can't imagine what levels 1-3 are paid! SS was my highest earning agency and now? Is anyone seriously considering continuing to upload to SS? My hard work is worth more than this. I see no point in continuing with SS. How on earth does this "...help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential."? Where's the greater earnings potential?

Suggestion: instead of a "1st of january reset" it should be decently fair to have a 1-year-backwards range monthly calculation. So everyone could easily "feel" that "something is changing" from month to month, not "BOOM! It's january!".

I know I'm not really having a "conversation" ... but I need to know that , at any rate, I talked (and written) about a reasonable proposal, respectful of video-makers, photographers, illustrators, artists.

Good look to everyone.

55 minutes ago, Harismoyo said:

Now, I only get US$0.10 per download. Help me. Find my new images at Getty Images, iStock, Adobe, Depositphoto dan Dreamtime. 

shutter.jpg

You may want to reconsider iStock.  I and a lot of others left them due to sub 1 cent (.049 cent) payouts.   

5 minutes ago, aminkorea said:

You may want to reconsider iStock.  I and a lot of others left them due to sub 1 cent (.049 cent) payouts.   

Thanks for ur info,

21 hours ago, ariadna de raadt said:

Сергей, я 14 лет с шаттерстоком, я выросла как фотограф и имела неплохую жизнь. Но то, что сейчас происходит это смерть целой индустрии, всего 20 лет стоковому бизнесу и он уже изжил себя, превратившись в наностокбизнес ! Здесь речь идет об этом

Yes, I agree.

9 hours ago, Jake Sorensen said:

Everyone stop and read this. Its very important. Continue to quote it so that it doesn't get buried in the forum and others will see it. Many members of the Stock Submitters Coalition (the new coalition created to fight changes like these and you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/261369748434285/ ) have reported to us that they received a communication from Shutterstock wanting them to sign a separate deal that will allow them to stay at what they said was the current percentage (Im assuming that means the previous structure) until the end of January and then they would be taken down to level 1 like everyone else. They are hoping to quell the rebellion by throwing a carrot in front of a select group of contributors and making them feel special. Just when you thought they couldn't get worse they go and do something like this. They are now offering different deals to select people in hopes of this all going away. Not to mention the deal they are offering still sucks. If you get one of these letters/emails I implore you to not sign it. In fact, I beg you to post it here and show the rest of the contributors what Shutterstock is trying to do behind everyones backs.

Again, keep quoting and reposting this for others to see. Join the Stock Submitters Coalition and help fight this. We are over 600 members strong now and represent a portfolio of over 7.65 million. Our members have pushed articles out to many websites: https://fstoppers.com/originals/what-wrong-shutterstock-489338 , https://www.dpreview.com/news/7607355790/shutterstock-announces-new-earnings-structure-contributors-are-anything-but-happy , https://petapixel.com/2020/05/27/shutterstock-unveiled-a-new-royalty-structure-and-photographers-are-furious/ . Join in and help make a difference. https://www.facebook.com/groups/261369748434285/

Wow!

I didn't expect so many sales at $0.10 (or a little more). In fact they're all like that.
It's pretty tragic.
Or is it just a system error?

I blocked the sale of video 1216 in the portfolio (full cg, copter, time laps)

and stop uploading new images to shutterstock
I do not want to get 10 cents for 3D renderings and illustrations

I hope shutterstock come to its senses and restore the previous payment

8 hours ago, wacomka said:

@Kate Shutterstock What is going on?

@Jane Rix  SAME STORY in my account.  14507 downloads are missing

==============================================================================================================
Contributors, ATTENTION PLEASE!
Discrepancy of images downloaded (# from the LEFT side VS # from the RIGHT side)

Who has the same problem?

==============================================================================================================

I lost about 6000.

2 minutes ago, hjochen said:

the only correct answer to this is to stop new submission or close the account. I have stopped all new submissions until this new structure is gone

hjschneider

You should consider opting your images out from sales. In this way your work is not getting sold for 10 cents. 

Shutterstock already lost over 100.000 images since this morning. 

10 cents sub? I bailed out from such places... I am bailing out from here too.

I must protect my other agents. This one is paying shit! No coop with shit paying agents!

Be safe all of you!

On 5/26/2020 at 7:30 PM, Kate Shutterstock said:

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential. 

Starting on June 1st, 2020, your earnings for each license will be based on your Image Level or your Video Level.  

earnings-for-images-forum.png.89c1b679a14834960f019668d0f028d0.png

earnings-for-videos-forum.png.803eddaf31ab4c904b5d8d660bc0495a.png

On June 1, you will be placed in an Image Level and a Video Level based on your download count so far in 2020. The email you receive today will let you know which levels you are in as of this morning. 

How does it work?

• These new levels are based on the number of times your content is licensed rather than your lifetime earnings. 
  • All contributors reset to level 1 for both images and videos every year on January 1st.
  • There are separate levels for images and for videos, and you graduate through them independently based on your download count in each category.

I did not believe that shutter stock doing this rubbish thing how could every year you reset the counter. why this will effect the portfolio and earning for both not only the shutter stock him self but also for contribute. can you people tell me does 25000 is achievable before end of the year. when you achieve this you will again zero.

As you promised that the counter will reset on January 1st. but my count rest already why as I was on level 5 on 31st may but on June 2nd my counter reset to 0, why????