Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

2 minutes ago, Chris Harvey said:

This change is absolutely disgusting I have been with shutterstock since nearly day 1 and to find that all my hard work and the hard work of other people has been obliterated to zero. The changes are not fair their a money grab for sure. 

Would the upper management of shutterstock be happy if their rate of earnings was done in the same way.

Believe me shutterstock you have just made the biggest mistake you have totally alienated the people who provide you the content to sell. And I have seen photo company's die when they pull a stunt like this. Once people feel screwed over what motivation do you think they have to submit to you.

Chris and all others. You can pull your content. The sales on other websites will slowly pick up. There you get paid. Right now I Shuttersto0ck is losing 6.000-10.000 images per hour by contributors pulling their material. 

1 minute ago, Mirko Rosenau said:

Chris and all others. You can pull your content. The sales on other websites will slowly pick up. There you get paid. Right now I Shuttersto0ck is losing 6.000-10.000 images per hour by contributors pulling their material. 

Well my first port of call is letting all the press photographers I know who submit to rex features.com which is now owned by shutterstock as chances are they will try and pull the same move on them.

I am still standing with the fact that the new level system I am fine with. SS is more focused on news media then anything else since that does sell very well on many platforms. Getty is used a lot with AP, MSNBC, ABC and CNN. So I have no issue with the level system. Now the pay out is bit unfair. I do wish this scale up the prices for customers so we can at least make a bit more from the sales. Instead of .10 have it .15 or .20 on the low end or just add .10 morw to each earning.

So to get a 40% commission rate for video I need to have 25,000 videos licensed. Currently a HD videos costs $109 (i know there are packs etc), so to get top tier level I need to sell $2.7 Millions dollars worth of videos for Shutterstock in 1 year, just to have it reset to 15% at the start of the next year. For starters, I am never going to sell that many videos and secondly, why the heck is the top tier level so high!  Who sells that many videos per year??  I am so disappointed with this structure. The quality of videos here is going to drop dramatically and clients will stop downloading here. 

The big corporation can not sell if they have nothing to sell.  Do not burn the hand that feeds you.

If it were Corvid-19, which is the reason for this big paycut, they would not have needed to make a reset in payput every January.
So, Corvid-19 is NOT the reason we receive less money. Either they need the money- mismanagement?, or they want the money - greed.
Or both.

In any case not longer a compagnie I trust.

24 minutes ago, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

I am still standing with the fact that the new level system I am fine with. SS is more focused on news media then anything else since that does sell very well on many platforms. Getty is used a lot with AP, MSNBC, ABC and CNN. So I have no issue with the level system. Now the pay out is bit unfair. I do wish this scale up the prices for customers so we can at least make a bit more from the sales. Instead of .10 have it .15 or .20 on the low end or just add .10 morw to each earning.

You see! Even you, so loyal to Shutterstock, were disappointed when you were faced not with promises, but with actual changes. The main problem of the new structure is that we are not paid interest. We are paid hypocrytical  'interest percents of percentage'. At now this is a nanostock, not micro.

My earning drops more than half. So disappointing.....So sad.......is the time to say BYE BYE. I believe more and more contributors will say bye bye too. Good luck.

6 hours ago, B.E. Lewis said:

I've disabled image sales until the $0.10 sales are restored to at least $0.25. Does anyone know if video sales are similarly crippled? I made $17.94 from my last video sale in May, which I consider decent and worth keeping videos up. If those have dropped to something ridiculous as images have, I'll disable those. 

videos down to 1.95

4 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Thanks @Jane Rix, @wacomka and @William Perugini,

We're taking a look at that issue now. Thanks for reporting.

So Kate you respond to this issue but do not respond to our inquiries asking for clarification on the earnings schedules, levels and amounts. I don't understand. Is this not important to you/ SS?

20 minutes ago, judilyn said:

My earning drops more than half. So disappointing.....So sad.......is the time to say BYE BYE. I believe more and more contributors will say bye bye too. Good luck.

Shutterstock already lost over 70.000 images since this morning. I pulled all my images and videos as well!

I think i will start uploading all the trash left from 12 years of shooting tomorrow. Without retouching and sorting. Just copy-paste keywords and “submit”. 1 billion trashy-pics by the end of the year for shutter! Let’s do it!

1 minute ago, Maksim Toome said:

I think i will start uploading all the trash left from 12 years of shooting tomorrow. Without retouching and sorting. Just copy-paste keywords and “submit”. 1 billion trashy-pics by the end of the year for shutter! Let’s do it!

This will basically the quality they get for what they pay. 

8 minutes ago, Michael Warwick said:

So Kate you respond to this issue but do not respond to our inquiries asking for clarification on the earnings schedules, levels and amounts. I don't understand. Is this not important to you/ SS?

Short answer: No, it's not important. They have the numbers, numbers are good for them. We're not important.

2 minutes ago, Mirko Rosenau said:

This will basically the quality they get for what they pay. 

Yes. Good stuff goes to AS, DT, Deposit, 123 etc. All leftovers go to shutter.  

1 minute ago, Gerald Bernard said:

I suggect to all that we stand together and out-out of sales, for both Images and Video. this will hurt shutter stock badly enough to rethink the damage done to our incomes.

Thank you, Jerry B.

I already opted out for sales!  My images still show on SS. I hope tomorrow they are all down!

So I'm a level 4. And for the last 2 days I'm seeing nothing but subs at $0.1 and a bunch of SOD at <$0.15. Based on this statistic (high propensity of minimal payout on subs due to the popularity of large packs over the small, high payout packs), it appears that it really DOESN'T matter if you are a level 1 or a level 4. Does Shutterstock see this as acceptable reward of their top performers, @Kate Shutterstock

Seems like I don't have to wait until Jan 1st to loose >70% of my earnings. 

Hi, can you reconsider the structure of the latest earnings? As a contributor I feel very sad about this ... because my main income as a microstock contributor. And also if other microstock sites follow the shutterstock we will be completely destroyed

I'm level 4.
However, the price per image has been incredibly low.
How can you tell contributors who have long trusted in Shutterstock and tried to increase the price per image to accept this irrational earning structure?
This is clearly abusing power of Shutterstock and unfair to contributors.

This decision forced the contributors to sacrifice.
I can't admit it. 

Hi everyone. Holly here - longtime submitter (2005), occasional forum member.
I'm confused. My husband and I have individual accounts. I'm at Level 4 - he's at Level 3. Our first subscription sales after the rate change showed up today; up to tonight we've had single & other sales at the lovely rates I was expecting (that's sarcasm for those who can't tell). Tonight I get a subscription sale for 20 cents. Okay, yeah - I can fit that on my spreadsheet cause I have a column for that amount back when we started. He get a subscription sale for 87 cents. Whaaaaa????? Not that I won't accept it - I just don't understand it.

I'm not complaining - I had an extended sale for $21 today so I'm still ahead of him for the month. Yes, we have a friendly rivalry :)

As of today I am no longer uploading to SS nor suggesting them to buyers nor promoting SS on my social media accounts. In the past 5 years I've gone from uploading to 5 sites down to 2. Stock photography has been a "hobby" business to me so I'm okay, but my heart goes out to those who depend on the income for their lives and families.