Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

Just received my first 10c sale and as such have de-activated my images after removing my videos a few days ago.
I had a good month for me last month with $100 worth of sales which brought me closer to achieving level 2 and was about to start uploading more content as at the old higher level it would have been more worthwhile.

We all are free to do as we think best for ourselves and images but I am not prepared to be exploited in this manner. 

Look at things logically, Shutterstock has 360 million images, unless there is a very concerted movement to remove images they are not going to be concerned about threats to stop uploading new content, once you have that mindset they know in a couple of weeks/months you will start uploading again.
These platforms are not designed to make the contributor money no matter what they say but if there is a reasonable conception of fairness most people will be happy. They have thrown that conception out of the window.

I will completely close my account once I have received this months payout.

Confirmation of your account info change.
Shutterstock

Contributor Account Info Changed  

Hi Robert,

This is a confirmation that the Shutterstock contributor account information listed below has been changed:

•  Shutterstock Image sales permission

If you did not make these changes, please contact Shutterstock Contributor Support immediately.

Thanks,

Shutterstock Contributor Support Team

spacer.gif
spacer.gif Facebook spacer.gif spacer.gif Twitter spacer.gif spacer.gif Instagram spacer.gif spacer.gif LinkedIn spacer.gif spacer.gif Vimeo spacer.gif spacer.gif YouTube spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service

This email was sent to bobh@bobdeering.co.uk.
© 2004-2020 All rights reserved - Shutterstock®

Shutterstock, Inc. | 350 Fifth Avenue, 21st Floor | New York, NY 10118 | USA

spacer.gif

3 hours ago, Jake Sorensen said:

Everyone stop and read this. Its very important. Continue to quote it so that it doesn't get buried in the forum and others will see it. Many members of the Stock Submitters Coalition (the new coalition created to fight changes like these and you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/261369748434285/ ) have reported to us that they received a communication from Shutterstock wanting them to sign a separate deal that will allow them to stay at what they said was the current percentage (Im assuming that means the previous structure) until the end of January and then they would be taken down to level 1 like everyone else. They are hoping to quell the rebellion by throwing a carrot in front of a select group of contributors and making them feel special. Just when you thought they couldn't get worse they go and do something like this. They are now offering different deals to select people in hopes of this all going away. Not to mention the deal they are offering still sucks. If you get one of these letters/emails I implore you to not sign it. In fact, I beg you to post it here and show the rest of the contributors what Shutterstock is trying to do behind everyones backs.

Again, keep quoting and reposting this for others to see. Join the Stock Submitters Coalition and help fight this. We are over 600 members strong now and represent a portfolio of over 7.65 million. Our members have pushed articles out to many websites: https://fstoppers.com/originals/what-wrong-shutterstock-489338 , https://www.dpreview.com/news/7607355790/shutterstock-announces-new-earnings-structure-contributors-are-anything-but-happy , https://petapixel.com/2020/05/27/shutterstock-unveiled-a-new-royalty-structure-and-photographers-are-furious/ . Join in and help make a difference. https://www.facebook.com/groups/261369748434285/

Whow! So the strange new members coming in here, who were ranting at us condescendingly or telling us it is all our fault and how totally ungrateful we are - these are the ones that „made the deal“?

Is there nobody left who understands how this whole internet thing works?

Shutterstock has one of the largest producer communities in the creative industry, but they are incapable of working with their own producers?

Artists loved SS so much, many never uploaded elsewhere even though the content is non exclusive. Just read around online, people are shellshocked, they feel completly betrayed. This was not just an online sales place, it was very personal.

When did they fall out of touch?

I met a few absolutly fantastic people from Shutterstock! They were one of the reasons I always recommended SS to anyone starting out in stock. They just „got it“ when it came to free entrepreneurial spirit.

Now we have a management that is ghosting producers on their own forums and instead they are trying a sad attempt at „divide and rule“.

The more supersecret they are and the more they delete and impede comments, the worse it will be.

This is not how working online with people on the internet works.

Very sad. Actually unbelievable, this is a billion dollar company after all.

15 minutes ago, Dmitry Rukhlenko said:

probably on the right is the number of your downloads + your referrals' downloads. At least for me it seams to be so.

Or Shutterstock is hiding some downloads from us.

Seems like it's the referral indeed (I can only see the earnings from referral not the no. of DLs, but sounds about right)

11 minutes ago, Bob Deering said:
Just received my first 10c sale and as such have de-activated my images after removing my videos a few days ago.
I had a good month for me last month with $100 worth of sales which brought me closer to achieving level 2 and was about to start uploading more content as at the old higher level it would have been more worthwhile.

We all are free to do as we think best for ourselves and images but I am not prepared to be exploited in this manner. 

Look at things logically, Shutterstock has 360 million images, unless there is a very concerted movement to remove images they are not going to be concerned about threats to stop uploading new content, once you have that mindset they know in a couple of weeks/months you will start uploading again.
These platforms are not designed to make the contributor money no matter what they say but if there is a reasonable conception of fairness most people will be happy. They have thrown that conception out of the window.

I will completely close my account once I have received this months payout.

spacer.gif

During last 8-10 hours 25 083 images were removed.

There are several million members in shutterstock. but the forum is 143 pages. that is, millions do not respect change. only a few hundred people care.

1 minute ago, Natwood said:

Son 8-10 saat içinde 25 083 görüntü kaldırıldı.

and more than a million images are added every day. So a fly flew from the mountain.

The irony of this sale sums it up for me.. by all means.

3BC2A3AC-837C-418A-909D-9F90A505833A.jpeg

7 minutes ago, graphicline said:

There are several million members in shutterstock. but the forum is 143 pages. that is, millions do not respect change. only a few hundred people care.

No, the 1.2 million signed up people is an illusion. The truly active member community is much smaller.

And don‘t forget the language barriers, producers who cannot write English well are discussing it all online on their own boards. You won‘t see them here.

I would be surprised if the regular producers are more than 60 -100 000. And the truly relevant content comes from maybe 5000 producers with the top 50 large studios creating the bulk of the highly sought after content. They invest hundreds of thousands a year into their production.

2 minutes ago, Jasmin Awad said:

Hayır, kayıtlı 1,2 milyon kişi bir yanılsamadır. Gerçekten aktif üye topluluğu da çok daha küçük.

Dil engellerini de unutmayın, İngilizceyi iyi yazamayan üreticiler, her şeyi çevrimiçi olarak kendi panolarında tartışıyorlar. Onları burada görmeyeceksin.

Düzenli yapımcılar 60-100 000'den fazla ise şaşırırdım. Ve gerçekten alakalı içerik, en çok aranan içeriğin büyük kısmını oluşturan ilk 50 büyük stüdyoya sahip belki de 5000 yapımcıdan geliyor. Üretimlerine yılda yüzbinlerce yatırım yapıyorlar.

Thanks for information.

1 hour ago, Dmitry Rukhlenko said:

probably on the right is the number of your downloads + your referrals' downloads. At least for me it seams to be so.

For me, the difference is too big: 37601 downloads. I don't see any dependency to be repeated with me and the other contributors. Definitely something is happening and hiding.

I deactivated my pictures just this moment. Lesson learned.

This is a merciless system set up to increase certain peoples' wealth at the expense of our talents, equipments and time.

I was a successful photographer once when a cover shooting payed 2000 DM and a lot of reputation.

Today, after globalization, we are cheap whores blackmailed to accept payments so low that 20 Cents less mean a lot.

We should never have joined such a business model like royality free stock agencies. We should rather go and plant gardens, guys.

36 minutes ago, Dmitry Rukhlenko said:

Maybe, although I'm not sure I've had that much referral commission over the years, but it's certainly plausible. Hopefully Shutterstock will look into the matter and clarify.

2 minutes ago, Andy Dean Photography said:

WOW!!!! One of the saddest days in the stock photo industry. What ever happened to being compensated for hard work?

Like 50% commission...

Stop spamming every page the same link, we got it, you want referrals, NOW MOVE ON!!! 

Just deactivated my content after almost 13 years - I am just happy that I not need to make my income from Shutterstock. Just imagine you arrive at your work and they tell you - "Hey, you're still welcome to work with us, but just for less than one third of what you got paid before." One cannot accept this.

I decided to wait a couple of weeks and then take a rational decision but after today new "earnings" that was impossible ... the nightmare has begun ... I disabled my 4 level portfolio...

20200602_234404.jpg

Today I started receiving $0.10 per image. This is outrageous. I'm disabling the sales of my images. I hope we'll all do the same, big or small players. We must unite and stop this abusive corporate behavior. If we all do the same, we can teach Shutterstock a hard lesson.  

COME ON PEOPLE, LET'S ALL DISABLE THE SALES OF OUR CONTENT.

3 hours ago, graphicline said:

and more than a million images are added every day. So a fly flew from the mountain.

Well, deactivating is not an obligation, it's a choice. If people think it won't change anything and they don't want to deactivate, they don't have to. I did it, because I don't want to draw for such ridiculous money.

2 hours ago, Andy Dean Photography said:

I'm disgusted and insulted!! I've been one of MANY contributors that have BUILT this business since 2007. 

Make more for your work...

https://www.yayimages.com/contributors?ref=R8QADAQ

Yay is a waste of time....they sell very little.  It's sounds great to get 50% but 50% of nothing is 0....even less than .10....so if that is your mindset you are welcome to it.  I won't be dealing with SS for .10...why would I grab 0.

3 hours ago, Rue Das said:

What on earth is going on with the prices???

There are multiple issues!!, I am a level 4 and none of the numbers add up:

- Why am I earning $0.10/14 cents on Single and other! before i would earn atleast $1/2 dollars on each sale for this in images. Single and other cost typically more than subscription from what I know and as a Level 4 it makes no sense.

- All my recent sales from this update are "Single and other", Usually i hardly earn single and other, it all comes from subscriptions, but it's telling me "Single and other" sales are  $0.10-$0.14, and those are all the last 10 or so images i've sold since this update

I't a glitch, your downloads are in fact subscriptions. Kate said this will be fixed soon and photos will show in the correct category