Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

1 hour ago, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

Not sure if this is correct but based on subscription fee per photo is $2.90 and 15% of that is $.44 or .435 you can Google it. 15% of 2.90=

The largest subscription plan is $0.33 per image. That's what the buyer pays. So, at the lowest level, you will get 15% of that $0.33 - not quite 5 cents.

I'm trying to rationalize the decision because it's promoted under "Fair Play" for all contributors.

This decision doesn't affect the "fair play" of the microstock ecosystem, you simply cut off contributors earnings, it doesn't give an advantage to new contributors at all.

If you want to be radical, reset all rankings to all photos each year so you can promote fair play for all contributors.

But you're not going to do that, don't you? You're just cutting off people's earnings by destroying the contributors who worked hard since early beginnings and made you the company you are today.

This is exactly how it happened with "referrals". Back in the day, you were referring contributors and earnings 0.03 of each sale, lifetime.

But Shutterstock kept growing due to the naive community and eventually they decided "Hey, s***w you, referrals are available only one year. We don't need you anymore".

This is not a surprise.

1 hour ago, Skyward Kick Productions said:

I really wish someone from Shutterstock would reply because this is pretty important - 

I don't think it rolls back every January the way we've all interpreted. And I'm basing this on the e-mail they sent me with my tier. I was granted a tier 4 (500-2500 sales) BUT I haven't yet made 500 sales in 2020. So that must be based on my 2019 earnings. 

No, that is just because they screwed up the email they sent out. It had incorrect numbers for the tiers.

BIG THANKS! Stan Pavlovsky, and the amazing team around him all those people involved in such initiative, thanks for your encouragement, support, goodwill, and for the amazing ability to keep our trust more than ever, while we experience very difficult times, full of uncertainty and with lower sales of all times.

We are creative, we're contributors, we're the content, we deserve more than this, we own so little so far; clearly is not enough for a billionaire company.

Too big to fall? well slowly will be, you can not work close to those that you can not trust, the same ones that show no respect for you, and your work.

I already deleted all my videos from istock, and I'm willing to do the same here.

A good businessman knows how to build trust, and value the assets he owns.

SHAME ON YOU! Shutterstock, Stan Pavlovsky, and your amazing team, congratulations on your new position as CEO, it looks promising your plan to grow a business.

all these bigmouth people here and most of you will do NOTHING!!

i will be back here in a month or two and i bet that 90% of the people are stil active here.. (&&%& sheeps.

you will keep wasting your TIME uploadings images for CENTS.

as if you have unlimited LIFETIME.

i pity you...

17 minutes ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

Sadly, that looks correct.

I wonder how many contributors go past the 5310 sales break even point.

I fell a couple of thousand sales short last year and I do not expect to get more sales this year.

1 minute ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Please see the first post in the thread for answers to some frequently asked questions.

You're ignoring most frequently asked questions here

11 minutes ago, eskystudio said:

I think that is the onlny way to make them rethinnk the approach. How do I disable my port?

On your contributor dashboard, under your name in the upper right hand corner, go to account settings, then do this:

2020-05-26_13-47-24.thumb.jpg.d3ba1530983b2dd54738ace87317a701.jpg

Please provide rates for subscriptions so I can better assess how this will affect me.   You are making far reaching decisions with my income, and yet are not providing the information necessary to evaluate it.   In viewing the subscription packages, it is difficult to assess what the prices are for non-subscription sales.  The subscription sales vary by packages. 

Starting over on January 1 for levels in not acceptable.  I have over 440,000 images, with 278,000 lifetime downloads.  Yet, you expect me to be a newbie earnings level each January?   Stock sales is by definition a mix of old an new content.  I find my older content sells far better than one would expect.  Yet, I am only valued for new content, even though the older stock sells well?  Some provision for lifetime sales needs to be taken into account when setting levels.  Better yet, take a rolling 12 month average. 

You make money off our work, yet, are now going to take more without explanation as to what it really means.  Transparency is necessary.  Start NOW, please!

"All contributors reset to level 1 for both images and videos every year on January 1st."
You have got to be kidding me.

A couple of years ago I stopped focusing on SS as my primary place to upload stock to go with another agency that has since then made several changes that have resulted in HIGHER earnings for its contributors. They even gave me a bonus once!

Meanwhile SS is going the opposite direction. Looks like I made the right choice.

1 minute ago, Peter Hamada said:

all these bigmouth people here and most of you will do NOTHING!!

i will be back here in a month or two and i bet that 90% of the people are stil active here.. (&&%& sheeps.

you will keep wasting your TIME uploadings images for CENTS.

as if you have unlimited LIFETIME.

i pity you...

Yet you wasted time to write that post.  Do you have unlimited LIFETIME?

First time I post in this forum

¨We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.¨

This is really insulting....IT IS A BIG LIE! 

1 minute ago, Targosz said:

I fell a couple of thousand sales short last year and I do not expect to get more sales this year.

Don't forget - they control the secret search algorithm. It is not impossible for them to adjust your place in searches as you get close to the thresholds to keep you from going up a bracket.

2 minutes ago, Milo J said:

No, that is just because they screwed up the email they sent out. It had incorrect numbers for the tiers.

the current level as of june is based on lifetime earnings or not?

is it even worse and it is based on the sales this year?

LOL... it gets better and better....

1 hour ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work

If it's designed to reward content creators, why everyone will get paid less than now?

1 minute ago, Targosz said:

Same.  The factories are the only ones that'll win here and win on bulk.  Everyone else loses.

Realistically for me the best i can hope for in a year is after a few months to get onto a tier thats 5% lower than im currently getting.  Factor in the much lower earnings from january to get to that stage and im losing big time.

Video currently makes up 40% of my earnings.  This new thing is based on numbers.  Its going to obliterate that figure,

This is bs. Been contributing for a few years and stopped contributing to other sites exactly for this reason. This is a slap on the face of us hard working contributors and just another way to grab money by the company. INCREDIBLE! You should be ashamed of yourselves. Will be removing all my port and migrating to sites that do give a damn about the people who upload and about the rising prices needed to maintain a decent port. Good bye Shutterstock!

1 minute ago, Peter Hamada said:

the current level as of june is based on lifetime earnings or not?

is it even worse and it is based on the sales this year?

LOL... it gets better and better....

Its this year.  Email says that.

Handy given april and may most peoples sales have crashed due to covid.  Keeps more people on lower levels...

I`ll delete my video on May 31. 

And it seems, soon after that I`ll delete my photos. 

You don’t lose anything by lowering prices and reducing payments to authors, you have taken care of yourself.

Not ashamed at all?

I calculated that in order for an author to reach the current income level by video, he needs to sell more than 5337  videos per year!!