Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

13 hours ago, Natwood said:

That "honest" guy is so proud of himself and shows contempt to others, but ashamed to show his portfolio. He says he sells a lot. Maybe. But most of micro stocks' bestsellers are primitive boring photos. You have photos of animals which are masterpieces, and they are too good for micro stocks. Did you try sites like FineArtAmerica? Looks like you removed many photos already, but I remember the portrait of a lemur with a carrot (it was in your portfolio, right?). It was impressive, one of those photos you never forget. :)

I removed all my photos :D They were just slow to come down. I'll look at that site--thank you. Giving a few new ones a try.

And I think I know who that guy is. He's all about "quantity over quality" and views anyone with ports of less than 10,000 or somecrap to be lazy underachievers.

January 1, 2021

Exciting News! (For Us),

Since you idiots are content with accepting 10 cents per download, we have decided to implement our new, improved, simplified royalty structure.  Starting 3 months ago you will now be paying us to sell your images and video. If you have any questions, too bad.  We couldn't care less if you like it or not.  If you choose to leave there are thousands of new artists who will take your place and happily pay for the privilege of seeing their work on somebody's blog. 

For any and all sales we will be charging you a percentage based on price per asset.  We can't tell you how much that percentage will be, but rest assured it will be fair (for us).

Bills for our services will be sent to your address on file each month.  You can pay us by check, paypal, or money order.  Have a nice day!

Per Shutterstock, here some helpful info.

We provide the options below to deactivate/delete your contributor account: Opting out of sales (recommended option)

Opting out of sales will remove your content from online display, but keeps your account active and ensures that your earnings payment will be made when you reach the minimum payout level. Your referral earnings will also continue to accumulate. Opting in or out of sales allows you to quickly reinstate your previously approved content if you decide to return to Shutterstock in the future.

To opt out of sales, log into your account and navigate to the Account Settings page from the drop-down menu under your name in the top right corner of the page. Scroll down to the section How can we license your work? and select No for the sales options.

Deactivating your account
Deactivating your account removes your content from online display and bars you from access to your account and participation in our forums. If you wish to return at a later time, the account can usually be reactivated with the help of our care team. We will pay any outstanding earnings above $1, but you will need to contact us in advance to process this payment. 

Deleting your account
You have the right to access and correct, or delete your Personal Information and privacy preferences at any time. You can immediately change your profile here or request a deletion of your personal information from our privacy team - Privacy@shutterstock.com. Deleting your account will permanently remove your content from online display, bar access to your account and participation in our forums. You can find detailed information on our Privacy Policy.

Untitled-1.jpg

I sold way north of 1.000.000 licenses on Shutterstock and made the site millions of US$ in the process. I do people pictures, up to 12 people per shoot. They are models. They have to be paid. There is no way I can do a shoot for a commission of .10 US$ per DL even if I do refrain from paying myself. That is: I cannot even cover the expenses. And I do produce in the "cheap" East. 

I am not sure what kind of content can actually be sold for that amount of money. Maybe pictures of traffic signs. 

9 minutes ago, Alextype said:

It is evident that the major of licences are coming from subscriptions plan, that means that "opportunityity" will be only for Shutterstock. Today I just see 10, 12 and 14 cents versus 36 cents of yesterday, since I am at level 4. Next year will be even worst as all of us will start from level 1. Everyone is looking around and Shutterstock will pay this decision!!

It doesn't seem to matter what level you are, I'm level 5, the vast majority of my sales today have been subs and single & other all at 10c.

fuck me..got my first 0,10 sale..i'm level 4...that hurts

i still can't believe they re going through with this..like those other guys said, street beggars get more...WTF !!!

I just threw the photo that brought me the most downloads and money. today I just sold it four times at 10 ct. I don't like this amount !!

and now i'm happier 😀

After long years its time to close my portfolio at shutterstock. 10c for a download is a joke for all the work we had to make for good pictures. Shutterstock was one of my favorite stock agencys over all the years but what you now do with us (your photographers) is absolutly unfair and disgusting. I closed my account at Istock as they try to suck out they photographers and now i will do the same here. Good bye .... it was a nice time. Im sure you would reap what you sow in the future .....

Let’s be honest.

We all lurk here hoping that somehow Shutterstock will change their minds and revert back to the previous structure or somehow they will adjust their system in such way that the other packs will compensate for the low earners.

We wait hoping that something will magically happen and we will receive many SODs, ODs and ELs.

Or if not, we will magically sell 100-200 subs per day.

It won’t happen guys, make peace with the situation or you’ll be even more disappointed.

It’s a certainity!

5 minutes ago, mpessaris said:

fuck me..got my first 0,10 sale..i'm level 4...that hurts

i still can't believe they re going through with this..like those other guys said, street beggars get more...WTF !!!

Absolutely, I live in Seattle and frequently handout money to our homeless. I always think "wow I'm giving away more than my work is earning me"...

In Germany they give you € 0.25 for each plastic bottle you recycle. It is much more profitable to be picking up trash on the streets than to be a contributor to Shuterstock.

By the way, when will you boycott big SS clients?

2 minutes ago, Red Din said:

Let’s be honest.

We all lurk here hoping that somehow Shutterstock will change their minds and revert back to the previous structure or somehow they will adjust their system in such way that the other packs will compensate for the low earners.

We wait hoping that something will magically happen and we will receive many SODs, ODs and ELs.

Or if not, we will magically sell 100-200 subs per day.

It won’t happen guys, make peace with the situation or you’ll be even more disappointed.

It’s a certainity!

You're right, in a few years when the .10 drops to.02 the same thing will happen and people will be crying about wanting their .10 rate back....I won't be contributing anything new but I'll let my old work wither away here. Oh well. 

This is disgusting step. My earning from SS is cut seriously (to 1/4!). Can somebody recommend me another Stock site to transfer there all my content?

OK, so today I finally saw what the new earning structure looks like! 10 cents per download? This is beyond ridiculous! I was reading comments of my fellow creatures here before and thought that deleting an account is too drastic of a step. Today I do not think so. There's no way I will be selling my hand-drawn pencil illustrations for 10 cents only! I worked hard on them and I need to get paid adequately - as all artists do! So bye-bye Shutterstock! Good luck staying in business when all unique and creative people leave and there's only shitty images left for sale.

Goodbye, Shutterstock! You just spat in the face of all the people who built your business and brought you money! Your greed will ruin you! Have you ever imagined how much time, effort and ideas it takes to create one work? For which you pay us 10 cents ??? Oh, this is just ridiculous! It’s good that still there are other stocks in which the management appreciates treir designers and photographers!