Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

what a piece of work these people are.

living like krösus on the back of artists... milking them every year more.

and how /%&/% are you people to allow them to do that?

Just now, Duncan Andison said:

Now would be a good time for them to offer increase % for exclusives 😂

If you'd asked me yesterday id have said not worth it.

But working out that i could be down 80% of earnings here soon (and EVERY january...) even without exclusive AS is going to earn more than SS so i'd seriously consider it for images at least.

23 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

When the new earnings structure goes into effect, the payout for subscription plans will not be less than 10¢.

and you write this while before you said great opportunity?

for most of us i think all subs account from 55 to 85 % of all earning...for most high producer you are cutting royalty from 38 cent minimum to 10 cent minimum, clearly i already know i will get 95% of times 10 percent....so you are cutting all earning fro contributor of 70%....it's UNBIELEVABLE...

Just now, Polozov arts said:

Guys, how do you think, is it possible for us together to create our own stock where will be only us with all of our content?

Do we have our own clients already?? No, we don't. People who are using SS as clients, they are doing it for a reason. There are a lot of other stock sites already... Most of them are just wasting of time. Some of them selling pics for less than 0.20$ ☹️ Adobe stock are the best at this moment, my opinion.  SS was my second choice, that's why I'm worried about this changes. It would be so sad if SS become one of the worst

Please SS revert to last earnings structure, this is robbery. We are creating content. This is blackmail, not a fair partnership. Not even a P. Is it that You are getting poor. Is it that You want more money on behalf of our decade effort. Shame on You. This is the last place of all stock sites I expected to go the ugly wrong way. Did You forget why we are here and why You are here.

Unbelievable...Unfreakenbelievable....

15 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

When the new earnings structure goes into effect, the payout for subscription plans will not be less than 10¢.

After 3 and a half years of uploading, I’ve got within $200 of reaching the $3000 threshold to move up to 36c per sub, and instead of that I’ve got potentially 10c per sub to look forward to. Unbelievable. And in the middle of a scary pandemic. Seriously messed up stuff. Really no point in creating good useful images for 10c.

While I admire the people who are planning to delete and disable their Shutterstock portfolios, I won’t be joining them just yet, but I am unlikely to be adding many images to my portfolio and will be concentrating more on uploading to other sites and looking at other ways to sell my photos. Hopefully, Abode will start accepting regular Editorial images.

21 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Not less than 10cents. Are you reading what you're saying?

What kinda opportunity is that? New contributors are gonna earn quite less now than before. Not ever to mention the older ones...

I have not words, trying to be polite enough.

Just now, Richard Whitcombe said:

No difference.

SS have Custom and Offset.  Thats all they care about.  The MS site will just be a bargain bucket.

There is a difference though. Shutterstock has/had high quality content for near microstock prices for a solid 8 years now by simply paying contributors more. Getty is an old professional media corporation with high quality and high prices. Shutterstock would have to completely remarket their image to be taken seriously with what they are trying to do. 

So in the times of the Covid crisis, when people need help and support from corporations to keep themselves afloat, Shutterstock decides to cut out payments to the people who made this company billions of dollars. You know what? That's just completely EVIL and beyond any understanding.

I don't have any illusions that corporations are always about money and greed. But cutting our throats as we sink in the crisis is just despicable.

Pissed off is an understatement. I dont have many images on SS but enough that I worked up to 38% over the years for a bit of pocket money. I would be lucky to reach 30% by the end of the year only to reset to 10%. Greed by the fat cats getting fatter and stuff those would made them fat in the first place. Shunts.

28 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

Spread the word: everyone should disable their accounts on May 1.  If we're not going to make any money from it, neither should SS.  By disabling accounts rather than deleting them, SS will still have to pay to maintain millions of images on the database. 

If money is all they understand, hit them in the wallet, where it hurts.  Deactivate your account.

I'll be deactivating mine at 12:00:01 AM EDT on June 1, 2020.

How i can deactivate my account? can't find this possibilities :(

2 hours ago, CFH DESIGN said:

This is just a joke.

10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips???

No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year....

To get to the current % you would need to sell OVER 2500 clips in a year !!! This is not just INSANE, but absolutely the last straw.

My portfolio will be deleted as soon as I can.

Thanks.

i will check if your only words or if you act.....

10 minutes ago, Firn said:

It has already been answered. 0.10$ for the lowest level.

The pack of cigarettes in NYC costs $14. So I have to quit drawing.

44 minutes ago, BalkansCat said:

Dear Kate, 

Please stop lying. You know very well that this scheme does not reward fresh content, as you need a considerable amount of work to reach volume levels, years in some cases. This is not fair in any way. 

I may understand you are doing that job for a living, but we are as well, and your company is destroying our activity. So, please don't sugarcoat the situation and don't talk about opportunities or fairness. This is not what Shutterstock is doing. 

On a personal point of view, I hope at least that you are ashamed of what you are doing, if you have any personal pride...

i agree...theruin of the world are company...the greedy management and officer....i thought covid change the world the brotherhood ..zero...

I've found and applied to this stock not long ago photochain.io/

Their price structure for now is: 20% commission and 80% earnings of very image sell for the photographer. There are no rules what price the photographer sets.

I will see how the SS new fee structure affects my income. If earnings will go down I'm deleting my work here and moving eggs to a new basket. No way someone will pay me pennies when earning a thousand out of my work. 

12 minutes ago, Firn said:

It has already been answered. 0.10$ for the lowest level.

The maximum is more important.  That could also be 0.10....

The whole thing is ridiculous, they introduce a policy that clearly they've been planning a long time with 5 DAYS notice to contributors.

In releasing it they have a major mistake in the email to contributors and NO public updated earnings schedule to even inform people what money they'll get to what.

And the forum person (i feel sorry for her having that job. genuinely) seemingly hasnt been briefed to answer the obvious basic questions.

Its utterly amateur.

The very least they can do with a policy they KNOW is going to be utterly hated is have ALL the details available.  People stand to lose hundreds or thousands of dollars and potentially for some, a career.  To not even tell them the numbers to allow them to calculate is almost vindictive.

1 hour ago, Matt Gibson said:

The other thing is the HUGE range for Level 5; 2501 - 25000 !!! That is obviously where the majority will sit, dropping from 38 to 35 and the image factories, who SS have no doubt already spoken with, will move up to 40

Its 38 cent and 35%, question is 35% of what $$$

48 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

That's correct. Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

HOW exactly does it differentiate between ports that only ever sell subs, and ports that are of higher value and sell large SODs and ELs, in other words, make MUCH more money for Shutterstock in a single sale? This system only counts number of downloads to advance for the level, not the value of the sales, and that difference can be huge between ports, leaving the higher value port getting pissed in the face even though they're making more money for SS.

Did you ever consider that?

Did you ever think that it just might take 10 times the amount of time for the contributor to make those higher selling pics than for someone only submitting base value shots?

1 hour ago, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

Not sure if this is correct but based on subscription fee per photo is $2.90 and 15% of that is $.44 or .435 you can Google it. 15% of 2.90=

The largest subscription plan is $0.33 per image. That's what the buyer pays. So, at the lowest level, you will get 15% of that $0.33 - not quite 5 cents.