Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

Posted (edited)

12 cent sales when it was 36 cents???!!!  I'm disabling my portfolio now. Will focus on Adobe Stock, Dreamstime and Alamy.

Did It: "

Contributor Account Info Changed  

Hi Joseph B,

This is a confirmation that the Shutterstock contributor account information listed below has been changed:

•  Shutterstock Image sales permission
•  Shutterstock Footage sales permission

If you did not make these changes, please contact Shutterstock Contributor Support immediately.

Thanks,

Shutterstock Contributor Support Team

"

Edited by JoeSAPhotos
post response

On 5/26/2020 at 6:30 PM, Forum Moderation Team said:

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions. 

Let's get organized and delete all our portfolios from Shutterstock.  #DELETEPORTFOLIOFROMSHUTTERSTOCK

My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct?

Apologies. The email to video contributors contained an error, and a corrected email is forthcoming. The Level breakdown above is the correct one (Level 2 starts after your 10th video download).

---

So I'm currently in level one. Instead of getting $0.25 per download, what am I going to get now?

We are moving to a percentage based earnings model for all licensing plans. The amount contributors earn from each download is a percentage of the price paid by the customer for that license. 

This means your commission will always be a percent of what the customer paid for their license. The flat rate commissions (like 25¢) are going away.

---

At the beginning of each year we move to LEVEL 1? So in the beginning of each year we will all be earning 15%? 

Correct. Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

----

What about subscriptions? Will those earnings be calculated as a percentage, too? Will I see earnings of less than a cent?!

When the new earnings structure goes into effect, the payout for subscription plans will not be less than 10¢.

---

If a customer buys a pack or sub, but doesn’t use it all, how are my earnings calculated?

When a customer buys a pack or subscription, your commission is calculated based on the price per asset assuming full usage of the pack or subscription. For example, if a customer buys a 10 images per month subscription at $49 per month, the price per image is $4.90. Your earnings percentage is based on $4.90 regardless of how many images the customer downloads from their allotment. 

---

How much do I earn if a customer downloads my content during a “free trial”?

When a customer downloads your image as part of a free trial, your commission is based on your earnings level, as with all other downloads. The price per asset we use to calculate your earning depends on the package or promotion the customer is using, but your commission will not be lower than 10¢.

Free Images of the Month are negotiated separately, and if your images are part of that promotion, you will be contacted by our team.

1 hour ago, Maksim Toome said:

那是系统错误吗?我在lvl5上,有很多$ 0.10下载

不是幻觉,我也是level5,也有很多0.1美金

Wow, they just deleted my post CALL TO ACTION. It seems that they did not like the idea? All right. I will put it in every Facebook post and in every YouTube video, I will make sure that everyone sees it.

@Kate Shutterstock

Kate, I have requested some clarifying information. Please, before I turn off my portfolio, provide us with a spreadsheet showing what contributors will be paid by level by customer subscription license by sub, sod, enhanced license, single & other. You, as the SS messenger owe that much. This seems insane.

1 hour ago, Elena Schweitzer said:

I'm starting to delete my best images

If more members with a quality portfolio like you disable the sells they will make undo to this robbery, only the best contributors and real artists can stop them, a stock site don't resist full of garbage.

11 minutes ago, DaLiu said:

90% of my sales are 10c sales, this is not normal, SS give us an option to opt out from 700/350 pack subs, it is our choice how we sell our content or I am going to disable content for selling.

Mine are 95 %, I used to get double digit sods and videos on almost daily basis, now i only get 10, 12 cents and one on demand for 2,45 while it used to be 2,85. Level 5 and that is how we ended up...? I am not uploading any more here, while something change for the better 

3 minutes ago, Michael Warwick said:

@Kate Shutterstock

Kate, I have requested some clarifying information. Please, before I turn off my portfolio, provide us with a spreadsheet showing what contributors will be paid by level by customer subscription license by sub, sod, enhanced license, single & other. You, as the SS messenger owe that much. This seems insane.

This has been posted a number of times here and in other media. Yeah, it was calculated by contributors and not provided by SS, but their math would be the same.

Making 10 cents is not even worth switch on my camera. Let alone:

planning,

setting up,

traveling,

shooting,

find composition, lighting, framing

transfer to lightroom,

editing,

exporting,

uploading,

think of description,

brainstorm 50 keywords,

fix rejected photo.

print model release, write model release, scan model release

Lol use your common sense.

Thank you for your submission, your files will be reviewed by the moderation team within the next few days.

Good bye shutterstock :) now i work with another stock. 1 day work for them and get 1.98$ How do you like this statistic ? ))))

1 minute ago, samoyloff said:

This has been posted a number of times here and in other media. Yeah, it was calculated by contributors and not provided by SS, but their math would be the same.

But what has been reported is not consistent with what I am being paid. It makes no sense and I don’t even know if SS is doing it correctly. They can’t get it straight on the earnings page.

1 minute ago, Michael Warwick said:

But what has been reported is not consistent with what I am being paid. It makes no sense and I don’t even know if SS is doing it correctly. They can’t get it straight on the earnings page.

Because there are only regular subscription packages listed in such spreadsheets. Shutterstock also has better (cheaper) deals they offer directly to big clients. So sometimes it will be even less than what is listed in the spreadsheets.

46 minutes ago, Sergey Chumakov said:

People!

Do not tell them that you are simply unhappy. You need to ask them something exactly.

For example slogan -

1) CANCEL 1 jan yearly reset!

2) INCREASE minimal payment to 25 cents or/and cancel stupid plans like 9000 images for 1999 USD.

I dont need to ask them something. They change the rules fine. I am in Fotolia right now. And work for Fotolia where payments are 0.66$ and+ 

First I tried to delete my top vectors but I couldnt because Catalog Manager on my account doesn't work instead I see this

1590626270_2020-06-0211_59_25.png.6eeb7740f0cefab7059f55343dbc485a.png

Ok Shutterstock I disabled my portfolio. My work worth more than 0,10$

3 hours ago, Red Din said:

When you sell your stuff to the competition that offers unlimited downloads you are basically ruining your own business here.

Customers are not stupid, I'm a stock subscriber on a yearly payment and I come here because it's cheap and plenty of content to choose from.

If you upload your portfolio of 10k images and I can download it with a monthly subscription, I will do that, others will follow me, you will earn your pennies and Shutterstock loses, your earnings here LOSE.

So I believe the millions of people selling their entire portfolio for unlimited downloads are the ones to be blamed.

Whoever has files on these platforms doesn't have the right to complain about this and the rest should blame them for ruining this ecosystem.

Thank you so much for this warning! I don't sell on any sites that offer unlimited downloads, but that is by accident, not design.

I completely see your point, and I will look out for this trap before signing up anywhere from now on. Thank you for taking the time to let us know! 

17 minutes ago, SkyImages said:

Making 10 cents is not even worth switch on my camera. Let alone:

planning,

setting up,

traveling,

shooting,

find composition, lighting, framing

transfer to lightroom,

editing,

exporting,

uploading,

think of description,

brainstorm 50 keywords,

fix rejected photo.

print model release, write model release, scan model release

Lol use your common sense.

On a good day i can upload 50 photos from scratch. 50 x .01 ct = i hope i sell something