Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

On 5/26/2020 at 6:06 PM, Bruno Rodrigues B Silva said:

Absolutely outrageous. This is Getty level. I will not be contributing anymore, let shutterstock have subpar, amateur work.

This is my main source of income, and it's absolutely unacceptable.

Getty is worse, the paid 2 cts for a photo. Maybe an idea for SS

This is absolutely disgusting and unacceptable.

I spend 10 years building up my earnings with you and have happily been at the top level for some time now, not only to have all that hard work wiped out but also to take a pay cut of almost 75% on subscription downloads. God only knows what I'll get on single and EL downloads. Maybe I'll get 50 cents if I'm lucky. Based on these calculations, my monthly income (even though I'm currently level 4) will drop from the hundreds to tens of dollars in a month.

So remind me again why we are being punished for loyalty and hard work all these years to Shutterstock as I must have missed that email?

Sorry, but from being my top earning library every month, SS has just dropped right to the bottom of the pile with one stupid decision. I won't be wasting my time with them any more, not for a few dollars a month which I could get begging on the street in a day.

Thanks for nothing you greedy B@&!$@ds

56 minutes ago, Elnur said:

If you struggle financially, and screwing up your contributors in the process, consider moving your office to a most cost-effective solution. You're paying me 10 cents per download, but reside in Empire State building ! 

It really means people had a little bit more money. Now it means you have to stop

man look at this this, this is screenshot from adobe in just span of 3 hours, look at those average earning of 0,99, 0,89 god damn.

with this new earning probably took me a month here to reach daily income of adobe, 0,10 hahaha

Screenshot_12.png

2 hours ago, Conde said:

i know. i have some firends that works with SS in development countries. I'am sorry very much. 

Good look

I am sad for the Indian photographers. For them a 100 dollars is much. 

So 10 graphics worth a 1 dollar, minus tax withholding depending upon country in which image sold, minus Paypal transfer fee/USD to other currency exchange, minus tax to be paid to native country.

Remaining money earned to be spend on electricity bill + PC setup + internet package + Camera setup + Model's fees

I spent 3 years creating graphics just to sell it for $0.10? My internet package costs more to upload images on SS...

I don't have any expectations from SS now. Will just wait for June month to see the percentage drop in earning before disabling my port.

In just 2 days its already 64% drop. Moreover it feels bad just to earn a dollar for wooping 10 images.

:)

1 hour ago, Jasmin Awad said:

I have a small port on a so called „unlimited“ site. Not the one you mentioned.

Sales are very slow, but on average I earn 2-4 dollars per download. Sometimes my average is even over 4 dollars a download. 

The one I am with share the real percentage with the artist, not a fixed low subs price. If a customer only downloads a few files per month, then the remaining unused money of the package is shared evenly with the artists.

People are not idiots, nobody uploads to unlimited sites and accepts 2 cents if elsewhere they get 38 cents.

Also if you look closely at the various „unlimited“ packages, you will realize that these companies often have daily download limits so people cannot abuse the system.

So before you accuse the producer community of stupidity  go educate yourself. Learn about this industry before making unqualified assumptions.

There are indeed companies out there that have extremly low prices, even without unlimited programs. But they don‘t have good content, often just a one man show begging for more files. The few high quality assets they have, they had to pay for upfront in special deals from large stock factories. Sometimes they also rent a large offer of files for a fixed monthly price from said stock factories. These are really expensive deals, not birdseed level.

10 cents a download works nowhere. Even Getty, that have some low paying programs, pays non-exclusives around 40-70 cent on average for sales. Non exclusive photos only (ignoring the connect program, but with that the customers get no downloaded file, they just pin images on pinterest)

No money, no quality uploads. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

It doesn't matter how much you get.

It's about the model that is destroying the industry and you're a part of it.

Race to free unlimited downloads, happy to participate for an extra buck or two.

You are missing the point because you got triggered by my message.

Keep feeding unlimited models business models and we will eventually give our content for free.

On 5/26/2020 at 5:30 PM, Kate Shutterstock said:

We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

After many years and thousands of selled pictures, our reward is $0,10 (Level 6). With 30% revenue in the past we had $0,38, now we have amazing 40% what means mostly $0,10?!? Shame of you Shutterstock,.. And all this in the time of Coronavirus, when all other compannies try to support their people,..

image.thumb.png.a74a41874dc2339c47f134b4f3833f7a.png

People!

Do not tell them that you are simply unhappy. You need to ask them something exactly.

For example slogan -

1) CANCEL 1 jan yearly reset!

2) INCREASE minimal payment to 25 cents or/and cancel stupid plans like 9000 images for 1999 USD.

Really??? Now I will earn 0,10 cents per photo selled for basic license? Oh, that is a great news with a long term contributor. Bye Shutterstock, you cant be considered a partner anymore. 

Adobe has very generous commissions and in the last year sales have increased considerably. I don't know how they will be able to compete with the new SS price list. The best strategy for us would be to close our SS accounts and direct people to Adobe.

Otherwise, this whole industry will go to hell

I am here for 10 years but as of today, I no longer upload any images or videos to SS.

Shame on you SS!!!!

Отлично! В то время, как другие стоки прислали сообщения, что хотят поддержать своих авторов и на июнь увеличивают выплаты за каждый проданный файл на 10%, или же предложили персональные безграничные возможности для загрузки, так как ценят вклад автора, этот сток сначала уменьшил возможности загрузки, а потом почти втрое уменьшил заработок. Уровень, который был раньше слетел катастрофически и теперь это будет ещё и обнуляться ежегодно. Такого беспрецендентного неуважения к авторам я ещё нигде не видела.  Думаю эта политика серьезно отразится на контенте стока и на его заработках, как следствие, так как что-то стоящее все будут просто грузить на другие платформы, чтобы не продавать здесь за гроши.

3 minutes ago, concept w said:

Adobe has very generous commissions and in the last year sales have increased considerably. I don't know how they will be able to compete with the new SS price list. The best strategy for us would be to close our SS accounts and direct people to Adobe.

Otherwise, this whole industry will go to hell

Exactly.

If you want people to value your work, take them to a place that respects your work.

This is just stupid.
Stab us all in the back.
You will lose money with this because we will quit the platform!
And we photographers/videographers are you're bread and butter.

Utterly STUPID

90% of my sales are 10c sales, this is not normal, SS give us an option to opt out from 700/350 pack subs, it is our choice how we sell our content or I am going to disable content for selling.

Posted (edited)

12 cent sales when it was 36 cents???!!!  I'm disabling my portfolio now. Will focus on Adobe Stock, Dreamstime and Alamy.

Did It: "

Contributor Account Info Changed  

Hi Joseph B,

This is a confirmation that the Shutterstock contributor account information listed below has been changed:

•  Shutterstock Image sales permission
•  Shutterstock Footage sales permission

If you did not make these changes, please contact Shutterstock Contributor Support immediately.

Thanks,

Shutterstock Contributor Support Team

"

Edited by JoeSAPhotos
post response

On 5/26/2020 at 6:30 PM, Forum Moderation Team said:

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions. 

Let's get organized and delete all our portfolios from Shutterstock.  #DELETEPORTFOLIOFROMSHUTTERSTOCK

My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct?

Apologies. The email to video contributors contained an error, and a corrected email is forthcoming. The Level breakdown above is the correct one (Level 2 starts after your 10th video download).

---

So I'm currently in level one. Instead of getting $0.25 per download, what am I going to get now?

We are moving to a percentage based earnings model for all licensing plans. The amount contributors earn from each download is a percentage of the price paid by the customer for that license. 

This means your commission will always be a percent of what the customer paid for their license. The flat rate commissions (like 25¢) are going away.

---

At the beginning of each year we move to LEVEL 1? So in the beginning of each year we will all be earning 15%? 

Correct. Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

----

What about subscriptions? Will those earnings be calculated as a percentage, too? Will I see earnings of less than a cent?!

When the new earnings structure goes into effect, the payout for subscription plans will not be less than 10¢.

---

If a customer buys a pack or sub, but doesn’t use it all, how are my earnings calculated?

When a customer buys a pack or subscription, your commission is calculated based on the price per asset assuming full usage of the pack or subscription. For example, if a customer buys a 10 images per month subscription at $49 per month, the price per image is $4.90. Your earnings percentage is based on $4.90 regardless of how many images the customer downloads from their allotment. 

---

How much do I earn if a customer downloads my content during a “free trial”?

When a customer downloads your image as part of a free trial, your commission is based on your earnings level, as with all other downloads. The price per asset we use to calculate your earning depends on the package or promotion the customer is using, but your commission will not be lower than 10¢.

Free Images of the Month are negotiated separately, and if your images are part of that promotion, you will be contacted by our team.