Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

Just remember we own all the images, SS just sell our work for us, they own nothing. So we can only collectively do something as mentioned before to demonstrate our disgust. How can anyone make quality video or images which cost money to make and receive almost nothing in return and then every year reset to zero. 

1 hour ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

Worked for istock.  And SS know it.

No, it didn't. iStock's change for the worse years back is what built Shutterstock up. In fact, iStock is all but dead, it is mostly expensive Getty images with bargain bin "iStock" content available through Getty. A new [generous] rival will crop up and the cycle will repeat....

25 minutes ago, Jo Ann Snover said:

At the beginning of the new year, a subscription from the annual 750-a-month plan will net a contributor as little as 3.98 cents instead of 38 cents (in my case)

What planet are you on? 

You are creating an incentive for people to stop supplying you any content, not an incentive to upload more and more.

And stop that garbage about greater earnings potential - you're tangling the bait way out in space, not within reach of any but the biggest factories

And do you really need more repetitive, look-alike content from factories?

i know many will get flame for this but this is the results of micro stock producer getting in millions from russia and ukraine and pother countries where cost of living is low....they didd this cause they know factories there will still work and get what they need to survive. even with this cut many producer will still earn enough. and ss needs only them to survive and create new content.. is not a case in most articles they only link russian and ukraine contributor.

I don't necessarily disagree with a percentage structure, but RESETTING TO LEVEL 1 EACH YEAR!?! That is just madness.

What a way to destroy a company. As if there weren't any other places to sell stock on.

2 minutes ago, AuntSpray said:

No, it didn't. iStock's change for the worse years back is what built Shutterstock up. In fact, iStock is all but dead, it is mostly expensive Getty images with bargain bin "iStock" content available through Getty. A new [generous] rival will crop up and the cycle will repeat....

No difference.

SS have Custom and Offset.  Thats all they care about.  The MS site will just be a bargain bucket.

Shutterstock is destroying the entire industry with this update. This way all contributors who produce high quality content will no longer continue doing it for such little money. So Shutterstock will stay with only contributors who producе low quality generic content.
And what is about this absolutely unfair scheme to reset all ratings at 1th of January? Like I did not have any previous sales?
If my earnings fall significantly I think I am going to finish contributing for microstocks.

3 minutes ago, Maxal Tamor said:

Deactivating the portfolio, but for how long?

As long as it takes for them to reverse this ridiculous policy.  And if they don't, it will be no great loss.  I'm not interested in giving my work away.

But here's another problem:  SS wants us to work our buts off for all this new, fresh, in-demand content that they will be paying less for, only to have it stolen and appear in other contributor ports or bit torrent packs on the dark web.

They have done virtually nothing to protect our work, virtually giving it away to places like Wix and Facebook, or letting it be stolen, and now want to cut our margins because they mismanaged our media???

Pitiful and disgusting.

4 minutes ago, Roy F Wylam said:

I am fairly sure that ShutterStock is breaking European and UK Law, by doing what you are doing. 

Can someone elaborate on this?

1 minute ago, Taya Ovod said:

Can anyone reccomend, what stock I should go to contribute after 1st of june?

Yeah adobe stock.

Sane, fair reviews, they're growing in sales, a responsive support in forum and directly.  Fair prices for images and videos.

Extra gifts like creative cloud free etc.

And after these changes will earn more than SS for the same portfolio anyway.

12 minutes ago, Photography by Adri said:

I'll join you in this! 😄 And I hope anyone else who values their work will, too.

I have opted out my portfolio now and will watch how this matter progress!

Let's take this one for example...This is current subscription plan for buyers. As you can see the price are 4,9 / 2,5 / 1,76 / 0,33 per image... So, till now - If SS sell my photo for 4,9 I get 0.33, and if they sell it for 0.33 I still get 0,33. Am I right??

But, from June 1st, if SS sells my photo for 4,9 I will get 1,47$ instead of 0.33 (currently level 4 -> 30%), but if they sell it for 0.33 I will get 30% of that?? 0.099?? 

shu copy.JPG

In fact I think it will take a month or two to figure out what's really going on.
A few days ago another site offered to host some of my images, but for this it asks me for exclusivity.
Currently these images are only on Shutterstock. They are images that are sold regularly, several times each month. 
So I think I'm going to remove these images from Shutterstock and upload them to this other site, which if it sells less in quantity sells at a much higher price.

Everything has an end. I would not have predicted that the end of the SS would come like this. I hope they return immediately before this mistake. Disrespect for the efforts of these participants. In one word, you're fired.

1 hour ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential. 

No, what you have done, if fact, is screw over all of the contributors who have invested in Shutterstock for years, in equipment, knowledge, time, and talent, and knocked them down to the level of any schmuck with a cell phone. You just destroyed your own market, because, I believe, the only people who will stick around for this dumpster fire are the hobbyists. You will be left with a lame library, and your buyers will go elsewhere for quality footage. Beyond Pathetic. Short-sighted. Last I checked, the other agencies that devalued their market at such a pace are no longer relevant at all.

8 minutes ago, Olga_i said:

The time will show. They are killing the motivation to work with them, all I can say..

I don't know the exact statistics but let's say ~80% of contributors are part-time doing it for a little extra side income.  Those people will accept peanuts.  Those of us (the top 20%) that create the highest quality content will not accept low commission.  The other side of the coin is that the best ~20% of the stock media available accounts for ~80% of sales.  I do think an agency can "survive" on low quality stock and profit – they just won't have the best content from the most talented producers, and customers that are looking for high quality will go to an agency that has the best and they will be willing to pay for it.  The contributor, the customer and the agency all win.

1 hour ago, David Calvert said:

So I'm currently in level one. Instead of getting $0.25 per download, what am I going to get now?

I think nobody can answer. Just let's wait till June 1.

2 minutes ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

Yeah adobe stock.

Sane, fair reviews, they're growing in sales, a responsive support in forum and directly.  Fair prices for images and videos.

Extra gifts like creative cloud free etc.

And after these changes will earn more than SS for the same portfolio anyway.

Now would be a good time for them to offer increase % for exclusives 😂