Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

0,19$ SS are u kidding me??? I was getting approximately 15-85$ for each single sale. And now 0,10$ - 0,19$ ??????????????????? I am in shock! First u made images 4 mpx and now you pay for this quality 0.10-0.19$ ?????????????? 10-19 cents ???????? SS ARE YOU KIDDING?????????

Just now, Przemek Iciak said:

"Не волнуйся", это придет ... Посмотри на это и подумай, скоро будет 10с ... грустно

Sadly. But that means I won't upload new work until it's back to 30%. I won't make any more money in a year...

I don’t understand how I will survive next month and I don’t understand why I should continue to work with the shutter. gentlemen, they are stealing from us. openly and unashamedly

10 minutes ago, Alex Vitanov said:

My account has just been disabled. Guess why...
 account_disabled_01.jpeg.dc4f604b70e27537dfee0c80a29592cc.jpeg

Did you disable sales before that?

4 minutes ago, Natwood said:

Did you disable sales before that?

Yes. 2 days ago.

33 minutes ago, inter reality said:

Shutterstock, please pardon me. Are you calculating right now 30% of subscription cost assuming that the subscription will be fully exhausted by the client? Full exhaustion almost never happens! In contrast to you, Getty Images calculates contributors’ earnings after all monthly subscriptions are expired, and thus determines actual cost of download in each partial subscription.

A subscription of 750 downloads costs a client $250. Does Shutterstock apply the following formula: $250 : 750 * 30% = $0,10 ?
However, the client has downloaded, for instance,  only 280 images. Therefore, Shutterstock is going to pay out to the contributors just 280 * $0,10 = $28, while to earn the residue of $250 – 280 * $0,10 = $222 ?

With Getty Images, it would be in quite a different way. In fact, Getty’s average revenue per image would be $250 : 280 = $0,89 per image. This is the base for calculation of contributors’ earning per image: $0,89 * 30% = $0,27, that is 170% higher than $0,10!

Getty Images always shares the subscription cost between itself and contributors in a fair way: 70% - 30%, whereas Shutterstock intends to reserve ca. 90% for itself and pay out to contributors ca. 10%.

Yes, that's the difference between what Getty did and what SS did. When Getty announced their changes, they explained it from beginning, that they will calculate percent considering the number of used downloads form the package. That's why their calculations take so long every month. So some subscription downloads there give much less than it did before changes, but some give much more. But SS calculate immediately, I guess they didn't mean to share with us the pay for unused downloads.

You know what irritates me the most?
I just saw that there are contributors who are surprised to have sales for 10¢....
It's been three days since we've been talking about it here and 99% of the contributors are not even aware of what's going on, and what to do to oppose this execrable action...
How do you expect us to get anywhere if the majority of the contributors are willing to accept this outrage without saying anything, like stupid sheep...?

3 minutes ago, gallofilm said:

Some investors told me that this move clearl¥ expresses financial trouble inside,

Financial trouble paying for luxury offices in Empire State Building.

10 minutes ago, Alex Vitanov said:

Yes. 2 days ago.

Maybe they're disabling the accounts with disabled sales. Well, actually it doesn't matter. Anyway there is nothing to do here anymore. I just wanted to see new "rewards" in action. Now I'm leaving. I wish you and everybody here luck. I hope they won't sell our images elsewhere secretly. :)

Just now, Krzysztof Bargiel said:

I just disabled mine now! I hope they will slowly sink down and Im going to help them out with that! Bye greedy SS

how can i disable my gallery so SS cant sell my work? I dont need their 10 cents... I rather to not get this insulting 10 cents

50 minutes ago, TBT Honest said:

@aluxum

I can’t see your portfolio but you did write that you made 50K last year selling stock 

Video portfolio is disabled. Photos - with a simple google search you will see where my still image portfolio is placed

So I’ll say what I conclude from it and from the rest of your text :

In my original post I wrote “Not a top contributor but not a small one”

As I understand it, you assume you’re ahead of me in earnings, you’re not, 50K in 2019 would be poor performance for me (to say the least) and I hope your doing it the way I do it, minimal operation, 1 photographer,1 camera 1 laptop, that’s how I operate and if you make 50K from stock, its good as long as your run a small operation.

Congratulations if you earn more. Hope that an important part does not come from Shutterstock because if it is you have ahead a tough ride in your earning with the drastic commision reductions. Believe me, I have been on that same movie before and "the decrease will be compansated in more sales",etc etc is a corporate talk that I have heard many times before. Only a few years before I was over 150k/year only from stock so once the mud hits the fan be prepared because you are going to have difficulties to mantain your earnings. If you do in the comming years advanced  kudos.

But I take it from your comment that you assume that me saying “Not Top contributor but Not a small one”, you just don’t understand the size of sales scope in Shutterstock. I know the top contributors, I speak to them, not studios with multiple workers, im talking about the other 1 man operations that never ever posted a word in any forum (this is my first ever engagement and I will never comment here again).

Scale the industry better and never assume you’re ahead of someone.

I scale very well this industry maybe because I am playing on it from a long time ago. At a time where I was making sales of 23k from a single RM image.

Something is not right, 50K In stock sales and SS is a tiny part, either that’s no accurate or I am missing a market to sell my work. Interesting comment from you, I need to dig deeper.

Nothing wrong. There is another juggernaut player and remember that your average here might be around 0.5-0.8$/image/sale while at other "places" I get 3-4$ average net earning for every file sold.

50K gives you bragging rights to a certain extent.

No bragging, just a confirmation that I am in the top league of image sellers that make a living from it. It seams by your words that you are in the same league.

Im willing to put it to the test. 

My offer is this : we both send   @Jo Ann Snover   5000$ each and an earnings spreadsheet , who ever is on top, keeps it all minus 20% fees to @Joe Ann Snover for clearing the air.

I don’t know Joe Ann but I follow her for years, every single word in order to collect market intel and she is a trust worthy lady and a true professional.

Let me know if your’e in. Man to man, and like all Men, we need a smart Woman to solve something.

Know your size, know your place.

Well your macho statements and attitude speaks volumes about yourself Mr TBT Honest. Reread your words and you might find whats wrong in them. By the way, I agree that @Jo Ann Snover is and has always provided great insights and information for many people that entered this industry. By her posts I very much doubt she would be willing to enter your silly games

__________________________________________________________________________________

Are you going to be mad if a client came to your store and said “hey buddy, the exact same stuff on the other side of the street in 99% cheaper?”

Well that's what all the microsites did with no exception once the macro sites time was over. 

Will you close your store? No one will buy a damn thing from you with your overpriced 79$, for that money I can download an endless amount of entire portfolios with unlimited.

Well it depends of what kind of work you do. If you produce the same thing that is everywhere else you will have to compete on price or give it away for free. If what you have is unique thats another matter. At the end of last year I made a 2k net direct sale for a book cover. Yes those sales are still possible in the age of free stock sites. But not if you have only generic stuff. But being someone that is "strong" in the business you know all this too well.

So you either close your shop or adjust and that’s what SS is trying to do, they cut prices on both sides of the rope and they did it with the deepest care when it came to contributors. Break it down and you will see that there was a lot of thought into it, trying to hurt us as little as possible.

Nonsense. This is not about reducing prices. It is about reducing commisions. Keep the 30% and reduce prices and you would not get the uproar you are seeing everywhere. People are not dumb. All the tables have been calculated and put in front and the pain affects suppliers of the content not Shutterstock.

Stop blaming Shutterstock, stop calculating packages and minimum payouts.

This has nothing to do with Shutterstock and a lot to do with Contributors feeding the unlimited machine.  

Wanna start a petition? Go against Unlimited sites and the people that feed them.

Don’t go against the ONLY significant company the tries so hard to not hurt us.

Oh men . Or you were born yesterday or you have hidden interests inside the company we are talking about.

Thank you everyone, I will not comment anymore on anything anytime soon.

That's your privilege.

11 years into this and having 2 forum statements is way too much, I have tons of things to do, Shoot, Edit,upload,Tag,collect market intel and develop new creative ideas, im ok with it because  ShutterStock makes it all pay out, every single month.

Go for it. Again ...your privilege. You just will have now tons things to do multiplied at least by two.

Stop selling on unlimited platforms, stop feeding them with clips, stop “pool sharing” your earnings.

I don't sell on unlimited platforms. Quite the contrary, only on a few. Only the oones that pay me a fair share of my content.

Support ShutterStock.

I will gladly support as far as they support and compensate in a fair way their contributors. At the end of the day we all have to run a business, live, pay our equipment, models, assistant when we need one etc. Every contributor (that is not an amateur) has to run carefully their numbers. If the new structure works out for you great, you don't need to worry.

And if anyone from SS reads it, please, don’t allow your contributors to sell at unlimited platforms.

They can implement this tomorrow. And if the deal is good they will get an important support. Now if they decide to prohibit selling on other platforms with the actual commision structure I would dare to guess that they would lose more than 50% of contributors under 1 year (for sure all the professional ones).

Thank you all, back to work.

Something we fully agree. Thank you and back to work.