Sign in to follow this  
Photography by Adri

So where/how do y'all store your files?

One 6TB hard drive, one 5TB hard drive, one 4TB hard drive. All nearly maxed out to full capacity. And these things are definitely not cheap. My RAW files folder 2016 - 2020 is nearly 4TB, so just having them backed up to one drive requires 8TB of space. And now that I'm moving into video production, and saving for a 4k camera, I'm scared of the storage issues that lie ahead ūüėÖ I've thought about cloud storage, but it seems like doing backups and file retrieval would be a super slow process.

So, fellow contributors, how the heck do you do it?

Don't have the answer, but I feel your pain. I'm drowning in an ever increasing mess of external drives as well.

Cloud storage, mostly OneDrive. I also save space by meticulously editing the images (usually two to three 64 gb cards full a day) down to just 10 to 20 percent of the images I shoot. Sometimes I regret deleting some of the images when I think about them but I find it better and more efficient than spending money on external drives all the time. 

6 hours ago, Photography by Adri said:

My RAW files folder 2016 - 2020 is nearly 4TB, so just having them backed up to one drive requires 8TB of space.

How can 4TB of files require 8TB for backup? 

Things on one drive alone is not a backup.

I use an 8TB and 4TB NAS in my home country.

Each file is also backed up as an offline backup onto a hard drive and kept in a different building so copies exist on the NAS and somewhere physically distant and unconnected from it.

When im not in my home country they live on 2 x external hard drives (stored apart) until they can be transferred to the NAS.

Images and videos going back to 2009 are stored in this way.

8 hours ago, MJD Graphics said:

Because a backup is only a backup if the data is in more than one place (in case of failure).   So at its most basic, double the amount of space the file take up to see the minimum speed needed for a backup.

11 hours ago, MJD Graphics said:

Richard Whitcombe is correct - 4TB for the main storage area, 4TB for the backup. 8TB total, taken up by same files. And this is really not enough - there is a " 1 - 2 - 3" backup system, where you have the data stored in 3 different, separate locations. I just can't afford that many drives at the moment, but I'm working on it.

12 hours ago, MJD Graphics said:

Delete all the photos/videos you will never use to start with, that's what I do. Backup every year to a cheap usb external drive and remove from computer.

Ugh, I really should do this. I have about 75k photos in my catalog from the last two years or so. Just sooo tedious and boring to sit there and sort through them one by one! But maybe I'll fine some hidden gems if I do it ūüė¨

12 hours ago, balajisrinivasan said:

Cloud storage, mostly OneDrive. I also save space by meticulously editing the images (usually two to three 64 gb cards full a day) down to just 10 to 20 percent of the images I shoot. Sometimes I regret deleting some of the images when I think about them but I find it better and more efficient than spending money on external drives all the time. 

Do you use cloud storage just for your backup? Do you find that it takes a long time to back up everything?

6 hours ago, Shirley Cronin said:

I have a Drobo with 4 hardrives (8TB), currently at 50% capacity, some favourite images (mainly family) I have stored online in onedrive.

What exactly does Drobo do? From a quick look at the website, it looks intriguing, but I don't quite understand the purpose.

3 hours ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

Things on one drive alone is not a backup.

I use an 8TB and 4TB NAS in my home country.

Each file is also backed up as an offline backup onto a hard drive and kept in a different building so copies exist on the NAS and somewhere physically distant and unconnected from it.

When im not in my home country they live on 2 x external hard drives (stored apart) until they can be transferred to the NAS.

Images and videos going back to 2009 are stored in this way.

Yeah, unfortunately I just can't afford enough drives to do the proper backup system. My camera needs to be replaced soon, it's past the shutter count where more than half of them have died. I'm saving for the D5 since the ISO capabilities are going to be a great asset to my wildlife  and low-light photography.
How exactly does a NAS system work?

11 minutes ago, Photography by Adri said:

How exactly does a NAS system work?

Basic simplification is a network connected server containing multiple hard drive.

Data saved to it is mirrored across 2 (or more depending on config) drives at the same time automatically.  If one drive dies, no data is lost, a replacement can be fitted and the contents are auto-mirrored.

The downside is you still need an offline physically different backup.  Although a NAS has multiple drives its not immune to someone stealing it, a fire, hardware issue or someone maliciously (or accidentally) deleting data.

3 minutes ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

Basic simplification is a network connected server containing multiple hard drive.

Data saved to it is mirrored across 2 (or more depending on config) drives at the same time automatically.  If one drive dies, no data is lost, a replacement can be fitted and the contents are auto-mirrored.

The downside is you still need an offline physically different backup.  Although a NAS has multiple drives its not immune to someone stealing it, a fire, hardware issue or someone maliciously (or accidentally) deleting data.

So does this mean that I could have one drive connected to my computer at home, and one connected to, say, my in-law's computer, and they'd be both backed up automatically?

1 hour ago, Photography by Adri said:

Do you use cloud storage just for your backup? Do you find that it takes a long time to back up everything?

It takes a while but like I said, I make sure I upload only images that I want to keep. So usually I leave the upload on for a night and they get done. I also shoot only images, so files are smaller. I find online back up a lot more reliable than a hard disk, having lost many of my images twice on external hard drives before. I also don't make enough money from this to invest in some of the fancier storage options being talked about.

If I was doing video, online back up would be very cumbersome.

16 hours ago, Photography by Adri said:

What exactly does Drobo do? From a quick look at the website, it looks intriguing, but I don't quite understand the purpose.

I am not hugely technical, and was fortunate to win the drobo in photography competition.

Essentially it shares the file files across the 4 disks, so if 1 hard drive fails you have a safety net. Safer than using a single hard drive, but maybe not as good as a full on backup to cloud etc

5 hours ago, Shirley Cronin said:

I am not hugely technical, and was fortunate to win the drobo in photography competition.

Essentially it shares the file files across the 4 disks, so if 1 hard drive fails you have a safety net. Safer than using a single hard drive, but maybe not as good as a full on backup to cloud etc

Its basically a NAS as described above.  A RAID array of drives with a plug on the end.

6 hours ago, Shirley Cronin said:

Looking at your port I can see how you won a photo competition ūüėä