Erica Finstad

Any advice for a camera to pair with existing Sony A-mount lens?

I need a new camera and have a lens from a previous camera that I could use: Sony 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DT ED A-Mount Zoom Lens

I'd like to keep the price under $800, so I was thinking of getting a camera body only and using this lens. One problem is that I'm limited in choices to Sony cameras with an A-mount for lenses. I've been looking at the A68 as one possibility....there don't seem to be many others in this price range that will fit this lens.

So I thought I'd ask the more experienced photographers here - If I already have this great, expensive lens, would you recommend I buy a camera specifically to go with it (and does anyone have experience with the A68)? Or maybe get a different brand camera and lens and just hold onto or sell the A-mount one? I've seen people talking about the lens sometimes being more important for quality than the camera, so I'm wondering how much weight to put on that. Or is there an amazing camera/lens combo for under $800 that has the (zoom) range of the one I own?

I shoot people and objects more than vast landscapes or fast-action events. I'm interested in having the ability to explore macro, but that might be a future addition.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts people have. I know it comes down to "what do I want to do with a camera and which one would I enjoy using?", but I thought I'd throw this out there, anyway. ūüôā

1 hour ago, Erica Finstad said:

If I already have this great, expensive lens, would you recommend I buy a camera specifically to go with it (and does anyone have experience with the A68)? Or maybe get a different brand camera and lens and just hold onto or sell the A-mount one? I've seen people talking about the lens sometimes being more important for quality than the camera, so I'm wondering how much weight to put on that. Or is there an amazing camera/lens combo for under $800 that has the (zoom) range of the one I own?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_A-mount_cameras

Most of the cameras on that list are older model cameras and - pretty much - obsolete.  Even Sony's flagship A-mount camera, the A99 II, was introduced in 2016.  It's clear Sony has put all its eggs in the E-mount line.  

2020-05-22_22-19-42.thumb.jpg.acf8312128a952173d2d5e14567d659c.jpg

If it were me, I would sell that lens for whatever you can get for it, and move into a new system with a future, like the Sony E-mount line or even an entry level Nikon or Canon, all of which have very attractive entry level features and prices, with extensive lens selections.  

2020-05-22_22-40-11.thumb.jpg.6d53f506f49a51c9dfb4dbf5132570af.jpg

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Nikon D3500&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

2020-05-22_22-45-56.thumb.jpg.7fcf40852b9ec5e616a0edb387397d37.jpg

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Sony A6100&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

All of these cameras, even with kit lenses, are capable of taking stock-worthy photos.  At least that has been my experience with entry level cameras.  

Good luck with whatever you decide.

P.S.  Canon also has entry level cameras, but I'm not sure how good they are compared to these.  But, here's link to some of them for you to check out if you wish:

https://photographylife.com/best-entry-level-dslrs

Most, if not all, of the cameras on that list would fit in your stated budget.  

If you really like your lens keep it, or you will miss it.

I’m not a Sony DSLR user. But I use a not so popular system (Pentax) only because I like some lenses. I have too the Sony A6000 that have the same or almost the same sensor of the A68. It produce nice images, and raw files with room for heavy edition. 

If you are interested in Macro and portrait, take a look on an used Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro Lens for Minolta/sony a. It is cheaper for sony a mount than for other brands. I have the pentax version, (thanks to Laurin Rinder for his advice) and it is grate. 

Thank you so much, Phil and Alfredo, for taking the time to answer my question so thoroughly. I decided to stick with Sony (A68) for now so that I can enjoy this lens now in case the A-mount is discontinued in the future. I also ordered autofocus extention tubes to try out some macro. Again, it was difficult to find a product for the A-mount lens configuration. Ugh.

15 hours ago, Erica Finstad said:

Again, it was difficult to find a product for the A-mount lens configuration. Ugh.

Yep.  Sony has all but "end-of-lifed" the A-mount system.  It was a hold-over from Konica-Minolta when it bought that company almost 20 years ago.