Brian Kapp

Understanding .eps submissions

Need help understanding .eps files, trying to submit for the first time, getting rejected right away, something about being too small.

I may have found my answer by searching the forums. I am starting to learn Inkscape with the idea of creating illustrations for stock. I could not figure out how the minimum .eps size required is 4 meg, and when I save the .sbg  as .eps (one object of a background use nature), the .eps is 4 K. I make the object much bigger an retry, the resulting .eps is barely bigger.

I don't know if this is a training issue about creating Illustrations, the nature of .eps files, etc., or if the answer is, Inkscape is not so good for this, at least to meet Shuttlecock requirements. Some people said they tried Inkscape and gave up. It seems Adobe Illustrator or something on that level is needed?

Hi Brian,

you're getting a little confused there.

The required size is 4 MP (Megapixels) - not 4 MB. I don't know Inkscape.

I don't know if Inkscape offers the possibility to change the dimensions from metric to pixel.

The amount of data in the vector file resulting from a 4 MP workspace can vary greatly - from a few KB to many MB. Depending on how complex the vector is.

The problem very well may be a glitch between my ears, and/or I misspoke. So, the object, the picture, in the .svg is 2100 x 2100 pixels: 4,410,000. On uploading, the problem reported is: The size of your artwork (not the size of the artboard) must be at least 4 megapixels.

Am I missing something? (and don't say brains, ha ha!)

You are correct! I re-edited the initial post and topic title now. I had wanted to delete the post because after submitting I started to feel it was a dumb question (despite the saying about there being no dumb questions...), and that I should be able to find the answer myself. But, I did not find the answer, and as discussion did take off maybe it will be answered here.

5 hours ago, Brian Kapp said:

The problem very well may be a glitch between my ears, and/or I misspoke. So, the object, the picture, in the .svg is 2100 x 2100 pixels: 4,410,000. On uploading, the problem reported is: The size of your artwork (not the size of the artboard) must be at least 4 megapixels.

Am I missing something? (and don't say brains, ha ha!)

I should probably start by saying that I use Illustrator. You start by setting the size of the artboard to meet the 4 mp requirement. However, if your vector doesn't touch the edges of the artboard (if the artboard is exactly 4 mp), your artwork is not 4 mp. I usually just create a white background that's the size of the artboard if I want to leave some space around the vector or create an artboard that's bigger than 4 mp and make the artwork large enough.

Ok, a clue. (Again, I am using Inkscape.) If anyone, is still interested. My test file is just a 2200 x 2200 pixel, solid color filled, square. I have found that by editing some lines in the .eps, it will be accepted by the upload process. Below are the lines from different places in the .eps file. Wherever below there is 2200, it was 1650.

I changed the object size to 3000 x 3000 and then the number in the .eps is 2250, and the upload is accepted.  I set the image to 4000 x 4000, and 3000 is in the .eps ...

These are evidently the relevant lines in the .eps :

%%BoundingBox: 0 0 2200 2200

%%PageBoundingBox: 0 0 2200 2200

q 0 0 2200 2200 rectclip

1 0 0 -1 0 2200 cm q

0 0 2200 2200 re W n

% Fallback Image: x=0 y=0 w=2200 h=2200 res=300ppi size=141838128

[ 2200.24 0 0 -2200.24 0 2200.24 ] concat

Mysterious. Are you sure the units used aren't points instead of pixels? If you export it as a bitmap, what size is it?

Another question for you: don't you expand lines?