SamUll

All 20 of my Photos Were Rejected for the Same Reason

Yesterday, I submitted 20 photographs. All of them were rejected by Shutterstock for the exact same reason of Noise/Film Grain. Most of these photographs do not have noise/film grain, and some pictures of mine that were much worse than these have been approved in the past (take a look at my portfolio; you'll see what I'm talking about). These photographs were taken with different equipment, so there isn't something wrong with the camera I'm using. Is there a way to appeal? I have submitted photos before, and many have been rejected, therefore I'm familiar with this system. What happened today is very strange, though. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Attached are some of the images I submitted. These are previews of the images, so the actual quality of the files is much higher than what you see. The preview also makes them slightly blurry. The black and white image was taken with a film camera, so there may be some film grain, but without the film grain, the photo would look digital, which isn't what I'm going for.

1728628174_medium.jpg

1728621733_medium.jpg

1728615853_medium.jpg

1728623491_medium.jpg

All of mine were rejected for the same reason. I had one approved, and the next disapproved and the shots were taken one after the other with no change in settings.

Unfortunately Enough this is very recognizable to me. It makes me insecure. While more than 5000 photos of me have been approved (you would say I know what I'm doing), the questionable disapproval are increasing

I do not see noise on all pics, but that with sunset has noise even with lower resolution posted here. I actually always use noise reduction on all pictures I submit. Not those that built in LR or Photoshop, but external 3PPs which I pay for extra..

if you check out other threads on the forum this and many other issues are now a constant feature and is happening to me too...sometimes I have reuploaded and been accepted but also a different reason up to 3 of them for one image is offered...can understand your frustration ...

Chances are high that most of them have visible grain/noise and even if you managed to get much worse approved in the past that means nothing. Shutterstock approved almost everything at some point and are now trying to correct their mistake, so even small flaws in photos will get you a rejection.
Look at your photos in full size (no one can properly see whether there is grain/nose in the small version you posted here) and pay especially attention to skies and dark areas. Unless removed in post-procession large areas of skies end up with grain quite often, so unless you edited the photos already to remove grain, I'd say there is a higher chance that there is some grain than that there is none.

Are you shooting raw or JPG?  If you are shooting and uploading JPGs, how is your camera set for noise reduction?  If shooting raw, how are you post-processing your images, if at all?  

I shoot raw + jpg on all my cameras, but post-process using the raw files.  For years, I used Lightroom to process my images, adding noise reduction while viewing the images at 300%.  If you can't see noise after adding NR at 300%, no SS reviewer is going to see it at 100-200%.  

Since I have started using DXO PhotoLab 3 this year, I process my raw files using Prime NR.  I haven't had a noise rejection using either Lightroom (as noted above) or PhotoLab using Prime.  

Check your images for noise at 300%, especially, as Firn noted, in skies and dark areas, and if you see it, apply NR while zoomed in at 300%.  And if you aren't shooting raw and post-processing, I would seriously consider it.  In-camera NR can be hit or miss, at best.  Too aggressive, and the resulting JPGs are soft.  Too mild, and you get noise.  But that's just my $.02.  I'm sure others will have a different point-of-view.

I check everything at 100% and if I think it's OK I submit. If it's rejected...too bad for SS...it goes elsewhere where it will usually be accepted. I don't do jumping thru hoops!

I’ve got the same thing. Few last days all photos were rejected because of noises. Photos from different places, made with different equipment, all checked in Lightroom.