Sign in to follow this  
Dan Campbell

The property release wasn't missing

That the building is publicly owned does not really mean anything. Where I live we have a lot of castles and historical buildings that belong to the state. I once did a background check to find out of which I can take photos of for Shutterstock and it turned out that it's almost none of them as they do not allow commercial photography without a permit and a fee (this includes submitting photos as editorial, as you still sell them = commercial photography).
Usually you can take photos of them as long as the photos were taken from outside of the property, but as soon as you step onto the property (even if it is castle where the property has no gate and is openly accessible at all times), you need a permit.

In general Shutterstock rejects  a lot of photos that were taken inside of properties. They can't know of all buildings whether you were allowed to take the photo or not and, people would be surprised to find out how often they actually can't.
This is not happening to annoy you, but to protect you from being sued for selling photos of property you were not allowed to sell.

Yes, for many German castles Firn is right. There's a so-called castle management company that reserves the rights. 
Your picture looks like it came from the Arab world. 
You could try to find out via the HP of the building if there is something similar there. According to my experience in Arab countries this is often not the case. 
Interestingly, however, in many of these countries a distinction is made between photography and video recording. With videos there are almost always restrictions, with photos rarely. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)