#1 crashoran

crashoran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Seriously Shutterstock? SERIOUSLY?

After years of sending out tweets, setting referral banners on blogs, and listing referral links in message boards, you're going to limit the referral bonus to the first two years only now?

Are you kidding me? We literally recruit you new content through talent all over the world, and then you completely change up the system to screw us over. We are the reason you have such a vast and diverse image collection to begin with.

#2 nemosdad

nemosdad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationWakefield, RI

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Sad news, indeed.

#3 glebus

glebus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Well, at least the shut-off deadline might be "today + 2 years"... Otherwise many-many of us would receive hundreds money less since march. :(

#4 nmarques74

nmarques74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

I can't believe this. This will have the opposite effect for me, I won't even both referring anyone. It's not worth it to make only a few cents for only 2 years.

--NM

#5 aradan

aradan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationTel-Aviv, Israel

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I agree. This is unbelievable! After years of bringing new contributors, this is really a stab in the back. I am hugely disappointed.

#6 yuriygreen

yuriygreen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

+100%

#7 whitcomberd

whitcomberd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Location$Random

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Quite "clever" from SS point of view. Im suspecting most new subscribers take 1-2 years to get a portfolio of a decent size to get the commission coming in OR most give up stock before 2 years.

So they keep the relatively low level commissions in those first 2 years and those that stay and start earning more money they dont pay out on.

#8 crashoran

crashoran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Removing my portfolio from SS when this takes effect. Tired of being taken advantage of.

#9 makalu

makalu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

That's a sudden turn. I always considered SS the most fair company in the industry, but introduction of this rule only with 3 weeks notice is kind of backstabbing.

Many of us have invested in advertising etc to recruit fine photographers and now it turns out that 80% of my referral income is going to be suddenly cut.

#10 martijnmulder

martijnmulder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

E-mail I just send to SS:

This is outrageous!! I have brought in more than 450 dutch referrals. My referral page has been ranking #1 for years in google for the phrase 'selling photos' in dutch (or 'selling photographs' or 'selling images', it's the same phrase in dutch).

I've been working very hard on this for many years. The ONLY REASON for this is that your referral program garanteed LIFELONG payout. And now your changing that??? Why?? You make lifelong income form all my referrals as well?

This really sucks and takes away any incentive I have for referring photographers. I fact, I should discourage dutch photographers from joining because you BREAK YOUR PROMISES.

Sorry for shouting (caps) but this really sucks...

Regards,
Martijn Mulder

#11 rachwal

rachwal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationstock-board.info

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Wondering where's the lawyer.

"Thank you" Shutterstock for that "raise"...

#12 HodagMedia

HodagMedia

CC&BW - FOBG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • LocationGreat Place By a Great Lake

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Yeah I thought it was just me reading it wrong. So good news, we get a 30% raise, bad news, it's only for the first two years. We get to "benefit" from the least profitable entry years, when most new users make almost nothing.

Ouch that hurt.

I might make more buying SSTK because this will increase profits. Someone with a sharp pencil figured this one out.

What's the next cut that will benefit shareholders, at artists expense? Somehow I knew this kind of thing would be inevitable, I just didn't think so soon.

I won't be losing much of anything, but I feel badly for the people who have been working at referrals from the start of SS. I think it's time to take down my links and stop trying, right now. It was good while it lasted.

#13 PaulCowan

PaulCowan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,282 posts
  • LocationEvolving

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Well, at least the shut-off deadline might be "today + 2 years"... Otherwise many-many of us would receive hundreds money less since march. :(

As I read it, any referrals from more than two years ago are cut off as from the end of this month.

#14 HodagMedia

HodagMedia

CC&BW - FOBG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • LocationGreat Place By a Great Lake

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

As I read it, any referrals from more than two years ago are cut off as from the end of this month.

We'll have to get an answer, I read it as a contract change, going into effect, and all would be two years from that change.

There's that glass half full guy again? :-)

To start, we're going to raise payouts from $0.03 to $0.04 cents per referred download. We’re also going to update the term so that payouts will be earned for the first two years that a referred contributor is active on our site. These changes will become effective as of February 28, 2013 and will affect contributors you have referred in the past, as well as those you refer in the future. There will be no changes to the footage referral program at this time.

Paul had it right from the start. Over two years, will vanish when the new program kicks in.

I'm also reading. We have too many artists and we have enough images, we don't need more referrals.

#15 steveball

steveball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSwansea, UK

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Doesn't affect me personally but a kick in the teeth for people who worked to build up referrals and increase SS profits. Hope there's not a rate cut around the corner to keep the shareholders happy!

#16 elisanth

elisanth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Sad news. It is not the best way to change rules.
Some other agencies offer 3 years program. New photographers and illustrators need time to start work and build a good stock portfolio. What can they do in 2 years?

#17 crashoran

crashoran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

I can't even explain how angry this makes me.

They had us recruit contributors to build their entire library of assets, while at the same time brainwashing us into thinking we would receive lifetime referral bonuses.

#18 makalu

makalu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

That's the worst part.
We invested in recruiting best photographers under false promises.

#19 rodho

rodho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Bad news!
I guess the fast growth of adding new contributers in SS will be ended when this takes effect.Maybe they think they don't need more contributers and more new images in the future.

#20 crashoran

crashoran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Bad news!
I guess the fast growth of adding new contributers in SS will be ended when this takes effect.Maybe they think they don't need more contributers and more new images in the future.

This has nothing to do with the number of contributors and everything to do with increasing profits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users